It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

scriptrunners versionMatch functionality searches also for history entries?

when I use scriptrunners extension for JQL queries in JIRA like:

fixVersion in versionMatch("V00.01*")

I will also get issue that have a fixVersion set to "V00.02.00" for example, if the fixVersion of that issue was set in the past to e.g. "V00.01.00", but was changed afterwards. Does this really make sense? I want to get issues with a particular Version, but I get additional issues that are no longer assigned to this version... so this means to me, I cannot use this feature, because it distorts the result I want to have.

So is this a bug or is it a feature? Is it may be solved with another plugin version?

We are currently using Scriptrunner 5.0.14

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Using the versionMatch JQL function from scriptrunner is actually expecting to use a regular expression in regards to how these are being matched.  Please see the documentation on this projectMatch / componentMatch / versionMatch.

In which case, the asterisk * is expected to match the previous identifier repeatedly.   The other thing to note is that the period . will match any character when used in regex.  You have to escape characters like that.  So if you only wanted to find issues with versions that start with "V00.01" then your regex would probably need to look something like this

fixVersion in versionMatch("V00\.01\..*")

Note the escaped \. to match the "." characters, and then the additional .* will match any characters that follow this.  If you're not familiar with using Regex, I recommend using this site, http://gskinner.com/RegExr/   It has been endlessly helpful to me in understanding how my regex is actually be evaluated.

I get following error using your regex example:

Error in the JQL Query: '\.' is an illegal JQL escape sequence. The valid escape sequences are \', \", \t, \n, \r, \\, '\ ' and \uXXXX.

Ah, my apologies.   Try it without those \ characters, and see if the results are more in line with what you are expecting here, such as

fixVersion in versionMatch("V00.01.*")

Wow, thanks for nothing. Now, I again stuck with my initial complain.

Ok, turns out you need to also escape the escaping character.  yay.

Please try this instead.  

fixVersion in versionMatch("V00\\.01\\.")

If this does not work the way you would expect, please let me know specifically what fix versions are returned.   I can't see how this could return an issue with a fixVersion value of V00.02 But I can see how your first query could have returned a value such as V00.012 since in regex the period will match any character unless you escape it.

Ok, this seems to really do trick. Thank you.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Apr 09, 2019 in Portfolio for Jira

Portfolio for Jira 3.0 is here!

The wait is over... Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center 3.0 is now officially here! Platform releases offer Atlassian an opportunity to shift our strategy, make bold predictions about t...

1,308 views 13 25
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you