replace mysql with mariaDB in jira

Emmanuel Rouillard May 22, 2015

For licence reasons, we have to change our mySQL Database to MariaDB.

The database was installed succesfully but JIRA does not start with the connector of MariaDB I have downloaded here : https://downloads.mariadb.org/client-java/1.1.8/

It still requires the official mySQL connector.

Do you know what dbconfig.xml should I use ?

Any experience of JIRA with Maria DB ?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2015

For support reasons, I'd suggest that you do not do this.  Atlassian only support MySQL, PostGreSQL, Oracle and MS-SQL-server.  If you use another database, they will try to help you, but if they suspect the database, you're on your own and will need to migrate back to a supported one to get any further help.  (I suspect Maria support will arrive eventually, but it's not going to be soon)

That said, you can make other databases work fine with JIRA.  I've run it on some pretty unusual ones, and the trick is basically to make the Tomcat datasource work correctly.  I've not tried it with Maria, but the ones I did make it work with were simply a case of following the instructions for connecting up a Tomcat and checking for quirks.

So, what error messages are you getting when you try MariaDB?

Thanks. The tool "config.bat" says :

Driver for the database MySQL not found. Ensure it is installed in the 'lib' directory.
If you are upgrading a standalone distribution of JIRA, this may be due to the fact that JIRA no longer ships with MySQL drivers.
Please visit https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/docs-062/Connecting+JIRA+to+MySQL for more information.

What type of database should I use ?

What is the dataconfig.xml should I write ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2015

Oh, you won't get it to work with the wizards, they only handle the supported databases. You could select MySQL for now, run with that and then swap over to Maria later (before putting any data into it). The MariaDB driver needs to go into the Tomcat lib directory rather that JIRAs though.

WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2015

I just want to stress the point that Nic made earlier. You won't be able to get support on your instance if you are using MariaDB. We only allow MS SQL, MySQL, Oracle, and PostGres.

Emmanuel Rouillard May 26, 2015

Actually, the version of jira we currently use is not supported anymore (too old). So I know that I won't be able to open a ticket in the jira of the support team anyway. If any big problem we will think about restoring data in a supported database.

1 vote

In fact I changed the package to org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver in the dbconfig.xml.

Thanks

0 votes
Deleted user May 22, 2015

There is a ticket open in Atlassian that indicates that MariaDB is not supported for JIRA. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-32347

Suggest an answer