It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

rank and priority sorting

Hi,

The backlog is ordered by default by rank and we have the rank functionnality to have the drag n drop functionnality.

But is it possible to sort by rank ASC and by priority DESC and have the drag n drop functionnality ?

because when we add the priority sorting we don't have anymore the drag n drop.

thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio_Pulgar Community Leader Dec 08, 2017

Ordering by Rank ASC is a requirement for the drag&drop to work; no workarounds for that.

The best you can do is reordering them manually, possibly by taking advantage of multiple selection capability > mouse right click > send to top/bottom.

Technically not solved.  No solution isn't a solution :)

Like Frederick Su likes this

There's a reason the flag is called "accepted".

Also, there is no "solution" - if you want to rank a list, you have to use a rank.

I understand that there is no solution for ranking and also ordering by priority inside of one sprint. But if I prefer to order my sprints by priority, why am I not allowed to use the right-click and move from one sprint to another. I see no contradiction.

Like Julia_Semeniuk likes this

I would love to see automatic rank/priority ordering implemented as a feature.

Like # people like this

Given I'm a user vs. an admin, I would like to have a mechanism in JQL to be able to determine the order of values within a field.  Let me know if there is a way that I've not found.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Jj Cv I'm New Here Jan 12, 2020

It doesn't sound intuitive...if i filter by name and description I would expect a sorted list by name and in case of same name a second sort by description...

I think similar pattern should apply when sorting by rank ASC and by priority DESC, 

First sort by rank and when the rank is the same sort by priority...therefore the first time i apply the rank filter all elements should have same rank(since i have not drag&drop any element yet) and a second sort should apply based on the next order by criteria...no?

I think there could be added feature to rank items around the same priority level only. For example lets have 3 items of high priority - currently Jira decides about the order while I sort with priority. Would be great if I could change the rank of the 3 items because I want the last one on the list to be done first.

To summarize I would have items ordered automatically by different priorities and ranked inside of each priority lvl. Of course ranking items between different priorities could be restricted.

0 votes
Deleted user Sep 24, 2018

Not really user friendly as the whole concept of the backlog is implementation according to priority. Is the status still the same? 

Yes, it has not changed, and it won't change either.  The concept of a backlog implementation is that you put your issues in order, which you can't do with priority, you have to do it with a rank.

Thanks, can you help a bit on to use ranking? Is it just the manual order that you put your self in the dashboard backlog, when I add the field it look more like a code than a usable thing for user. 

Yes, it's the order you put things in on the backlog.  The field it is in is not really human readable, don't bother putting it on screens.

Like DeNae Leverentz likes this

Thank you so much

Shouldn't this be a simple query.. group by priority and then order by rank????????????????

JQL doesn't allow group by.. how come??????????

That can't work because you couldn't then rank the issues.

There's no "group by" because JQL is a search for issues, it has nothing to say about what you report the list on.

Ok so I just made a work around. 

I created false sprints for each of my rankings. 

Must Have, 

Should Have

Could Have

Won't have 

Then I ran a filter with order by priority asc .. which then sorted my backlog quickly. Then selected all of the Must Have's right clicked and added them to the false sprint Must Have. 

And then I did the same for Should Have, Could Have and Won't Have. 

Then changed the backlog filter back to order by rank asc

So now the false sprints act like group by

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you