"work on issues" and "edit all worklogs" permissions

Murat BALKAS May 3, 2015

Hi experts, 

probably this's a BUG but before creating a BUG I want to ask you if you have any answer for this strange behaviour. 

According to JIRA documentation, users granted "edit own work logs" or "edit all worklogs" should be able to edit worklogs.

----------------------------------------------------

Editing a work log entry

1. Navigate to the issue and view its details.
  2. Locate the Activity section and select the Work Log tab.
  3. Locate the work log entry you wish to edit.
  4. Click the Edit (pencil) icon, located at the right of the work log entry.
  5. The Edit Work Log screen is displayed. Edit the fields as described under the Logging work when viewing an issue section above.
    information Be aware that when you are editing a work log entry, you cannot specify an amount of time by which to reduce the Remaining Estimate. Hence, the 'Reduce By...' field is not available on the Edit Work Log screen.
  6. Click Log to return to the issue, and verify that:
    • the word edited is displayed to indicate that the work log entry has been edited. You can hover your mouse over this word to see who edited the work log and when this was edited.
    • the issue's total Time Spent field has been adjusted as per the Time Spent that you just edited.
    • the issue's Remaining Estimate value field has been adjusted as per the Remaining Estimate value that you just edited.

You can edit your own work log entries if you have been granted the Edit Own Work Logs permission. You can edit other people's work log entries if you have been granted the Edit All Work Logs permission.

In our scenario I've a group of managers not granted to log work on issues ( work on issues ) but should be able to edit all worklogs added. They should not be able to work on issues but should be able to edit all worklogs. 

But, if I grant only "edit all worklogs" but not "work on issues" to a group of people they can not edit worklogs and get following error : 

Error

It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators. 

Is ths a BUG or am I doing smth worng?

Regards,

Murat

P.S. : JIRA version 6.3.15

2 answers

0 votes
Brindha_A April 5, 2020

Permission --> Work on issues

Explanation --> Permission to log work against an issue, i.e. create a worklog entry. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-project-permissions-861253293.html

(refer to the section for "Time-tracking Permissions" in the above link)

This is the explanation given in the Atlassian documentation. So I think this permission means, it makes an entry in the log (as to what happened)

So when you try to delete worklog entries or edit worklog entries, it needs first 'Work on Issues' to make a log entry and then followed by other specific permissions.

This is my understanding. 

0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2015

Hello Murat,

I wouldn't consider it a bug, but something that is expected to happen, since the "Work On Issue" is the minimum level of permissions required to a user be able to edit or delete time entries. Personally I believe that this is something reasonable, since it wouldn't make so much sense to have someone to be able to edit other's work, but not be able to log work, considering that editing working log is also a form to log work.

Having said that, you'll really need to grant "Work On Issues" permissions to let your users edit others work log smile

Murat BALKAS May 5, 2015

Hi Arthur, thanks for your comment. If "work on isssues" is really as it's than we should have another permission for logging work on issues like "log work on issues". I think there's still smth to be corrected at least the related documentation. Regards, Murat

Suggest an answer