"You are not authenticated" for only /user endpoint

pchilds_tigerspike March 18, 2019

Hello, when making a GET request using Basic Auth to our Jira Cloud instance I am getting the following error "You are not authenticated. Authentication required to perform this operation.", but only to the /user endpoint.

If I try the /groupuserpicket endpoint everything works as expected. I'm a Site-admin as well as a Jira Admin.

Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: I don't get this issue when accessing through the browser, is basic auth disabled for this endpoint? Because manually copying the session ID cookie over to curl works fine.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2019

Hey Patrick,

One thing that catches people up is that we're switching API calls to use tokens instead of passwords. You can generate an API token at id.atlassian.com and drop it in where you'd have your password in basic auth. The advantage of tokens is that they can be easily revoked, unlike your password! More info on tokens here.

The strangeness you might be seeing between endpoints is that the API changes are still being rolled out 100%. Some endpoints currently require it while others might still let you through with your account password.

Cheers,
Daniel

pchilds_tigerspike March 21, 2019

I tried that but was still getting the same error.

Suggest an answer