"We couldn't create the child issue"

Edmond Melkomian June 14, 2019

Started using subtasks as children of stories. It all worked fine. 

But for one user, He is getting "We couldn't create the child issue. Check your connection, then give it another try - Try again cancel"

Weird thing is he created the story, so now he is trying to create sub-tasks. Another user can add subtasks. 

I gave him admin privileges and he is still having the same issue.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Edmond Melkomian October 23, 2019

The error turned out to be an intermittent issue. Same user next day was able to create it.

Jochen Kruska February 5, 2021

Same error today, when I want to create an task inside an epic. Have re-booted the computer, but didn't solve the problem. Will (have to...) try it again on next working day.

I dislike this cloud tools...

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hello, 

Although this is a little bit late, this issue usually happens when the user can not create the sub-task because of the following reason:

1 - The Sub-task is configured with a required field, that can not be set using the inline option (See JRACLOUD-69222) - This might not be your case if other users are able to create issues, but would be worth to double-check if both users are trying to add the same sub-task at the same project.

2 - The user does not have the create issue permission. Navigate to Project Settings > Permission > Use the permission helper to confirm if the user is able to create issues in the project.

Let us know if this information helps or you are still facing this problem, @Edmond Melkomian. :)

Paul Barton February 15, 2021

I am having the same issue, I cannot use required fields for standard-issue types (stories, bugs, tasks, etc) if I want to be able to create any standard-issue type from within an epic (Create issue within epic). This is the same case that was made for sub-task issue type from within standard-issue types in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69222 which was fixed, however, this issue persists with standard-issue types within epics

What is the status of the following:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72434

I'm fine with creating and linking to the epic outside of the epic which is a workaround to this issue, but having the ability to create these standard-issue types with required fields from within epics would be useful.

Like Eleanor Kerman likes this
0 votes
syed sadiq April 15, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves Your answer helped me. I had a workflow at story level which was checking for some validation during creation of the ticket. As soon as I moved that validation from "on create" to <something else>, it started working.

Thanks

-Syed

Eleanor Kerman May 10, 2021

We have encountered this also when creating a new EPIC while requiring the custom field to have value.

I succeed in creating the EPIC - but task/story/bug creation under/within the EPIC fail

I create external  tasks/story/bugs and then link them to the Epic 

Has anyone succeeded in creating tasks from under an EPIC that has a required custom field?

The idea behind this was to inherit from the Epic to the internally created task the required field. Therefore when creating the EPIC the required field must be populated.

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2019

I thought I would add my two cents in here.  I came across the same error message when performing a Server to Cloud Migration test and I discovered this was due to an unsupported post function (we were using a different plugin on server compared to what we will be using in Cloud) in the create transition of one of our issue types.  Once I removed this the issue was able to create successfully.

Just a thought for others.

-Jimmy

0 votes
Ravi Varma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2019

Hi @Edmond Melkomian ,

Based on the error message, it could be some network issue as well.

You may want to look at the audit log in JIRA administration, to check if there is any error entry. If you are using Server, can you look at the atlassian-jira.log when this happens. 

Also, You may want to check if the user has create issue permission in that project

Regards,

Ravi Varma

Suggest an answer