It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

"We couldn't create the child issue"

Started using subtasks as children of stories. It all worked fine. 

But for one user, He is getting "We couldn't create the child issue. Check your connection, then give it another try - Try again cancel"

Weird thing is he created the story, so now he is trying to create sub-tasks. Another user can add subtasks. 

I gave him admin privileges and he is still having the same issue.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

The error turned out to be an intermittent issue. Same user next day was able to create it.

Hi @Edmond Melkomian ,

Based on the error message, it could be some network issue as well.

You may want to look at the audit log in JIRA administration, to check if there is any error entry. If you are using Server, can you look at the atlassian-jira.log when this happens. 

Also, You may want to check if the user has create issue permission in that project

Regards,

Ravi Varma

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Aug 27, 2019

I thought I would add my two cents in here.  I came across the same error message when performing a Server to Cloud Migration test and I discovered this was due to an unsupported post function (we were using a different plugin on server compared to what we will be using in Cloud) in the create transition of one of our issue types.  Once I removed this the issue was able to create successfully.

Just a thought for others.

-Jimmy

0 votes

Hello, 

Although this is a little bit late, this issue usually happens when the user can not create the sub-task because of the following reason:

1 - The Sub-task is configured with a required field, that can not be set using the inline option (See JRACLOUD-69222) - This might not be your case if other users are able to create issues, but would be worth to double-check if both users are trying to add the same sub-task at the same project.

2 - The user does not have the create issue permission. Navigate to Project Settings > Permission > Use the permission helper to confirm if the user is able to create issues in the project.

Let us know if this information helps or you are still facing this problem, @Edmond Melkomian. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

314 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you