"The reporter specified is not a user" error when creating issue via REST

Esther Strom March 20, 2019

I've seen answers here and here, but as far as I can tell I'm doing the same thing as the accepted answers indicate, and still getting this error.

I'm trying to create an issue via REST in Cloud. 

Here's what I'm sending through as the Body of the curl call:

{

"fields": {
"summary": "WhiteHat: test",
"issuetype": {
"id": "10041"
},
"customfield_10104": {"value":"$vId"},
"customfield_10105": {"value":"5"},
"customfield_10107": {"value":"www.mysite.com"},
"customfield_10108": {"value":"http://www.mysite.com/register"},
"customfield_10064": {"value":"Unknown"},
"customfield_10032": 14,

"project": {
"id": "10037"
},
"description": {
"type": "doc",
"version": 1,
"content": [
{
"type": "paragraph",
"content": [
{
"type": "text",
"text": "this is a test description"
}
]
}
]
},
"reporter": {
"name": "Jira Monkey"
}
}
}

Jira Monkey IS a valid user in our system, but I'm new to Cloud. In on-prem, we had very specific usernames, but in Cloud all I can do is invite a user by email address; they are able to change their display name on their own. So what am I supposed to use?

Here's Jira Monkey's profile card; it's a valid user with a valid email address. The user does have access to create issues (it's my test user). Note that I'm getting the same error when setting my own name as the reporter.

jiraMonkey.png 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2019

Hi @Esther Strom 

you should use username, not display name.

You can check the username when searching issues, i.e. after selecting the user you will see his name in the URL.

Screenshot from 2019-03-21 12-49-44.png

Esther Strom March 21, 2019

Thank you. So the username is basically the first part of the email address used in the invite (i.e. the part before the @domain.com)

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2019

This is true in most of the cases, but as you can see on my screenshot sometimes it is different.

Moreover, please also remember that using name is deprecated and you will have to use accountId in the near future.

Esther Strom March 21, 2019

@Jakub Sławiński I should have clarified that in the case of OUR accounts, username should always be the first part of the email address. 

But yes, I'm aware that I will need to switch to ID in the future. Not a big deal. I just wanted to know why I was getting an error on what should currently be valid code.

1 vote
Morten Melby November 26, 2019

I get "the reporter specified is not a user" an in the Reporter field there is just a string of numbers and letters. What can be wrong?

Valgeir Sigurðsson December 10, 2019

I am getting the same for a few users. I can add the users to the reporter field but they get the numbers and error.

0 votes
Deleted user May 9, 2022

Anything new on this one? I am trying an integration with HappyFox and I get this no matter what I used in the Reporter box.

Suggest an answer