"The board must be ordered by Rank in order to add a sprint"

Priscila Sales October 2, 2013

When I complete the sprint and it has some issue in backlog, I can t create a new sprint because the button is disable and when I click at the issue shows the error:

"The board must be ordered by Rank in order to add a sprint"

At the dashboard, shows the message: "The selected filter filter-10001 has an error: Not able to sort using field 'gh.rank.global.name'.."

6 answers

2 votes
ChrisA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2013

You'll need to modify the sprint filter you are trying to create and order it by rank similar to the example Qasim has mentioned before me.

So try

Configuring the board

View in Issue Navigator

Modify the JQL so that you are not ordering by anything other than rank

Hope this helps

1 vote
Qasim Azhar November 19, 2013

Use for example

ORDER BY Rank ASC

0 votes
Curly March 4, 2019

Guys, what if I don't want to use "ORDER BY RANK" functionality?

How can I create the sprint without it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2019

You can't - the point of a sprint is that you draw in the top-ranked issues.

Sergio Castillo April 2, 2019

According to your response, and to my own experience, does this mean that whatever "priority" field that has been configured on all tickets becomes completely useless?

What does it matter then if all my top priorities are sent to the bottom of the backlog because the PO can rank to whatever they want anyway?

If you are thinking that maybe my top priority cannot be completed yet because it is blocked by some other minor stories then i would simply change the priority of those stories to reflect that they need to be completed first, instead of moving a low priority ticket to the top of the backlog and leaving the top ones on the bottom, it doesn't make sense to my sight.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2019

Not completely useless, but the priority does not determine the order of a backlog.  It should be used to inform those who are ranking the backlog and deciding what to do next, but it can't be used directly because you end up with many issues having the same place in the order.

You are right, a PO could easily choose to put your priority = trivial issues at the top of the backlog and stick all your priority = critical/blocker at the bottom.  But the Scrum ceremonies and role descriptions should stop that happening, because the openness and clarity they try to create should mean your PO understands that when you prioritise something as critical or as a blocker, you mean it and there's a good reason you've done it, and hence they would be likely to put it very high on the backlog.

0 votes
AMIT GULATI November 2, 2017

Just curious, why does create sprint requires ranking?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2017

Because a sprint is created by taking "the x top ranked issues"   (The number is determined by the size of the issues selected and how much you estimate you can get done in the sprint)

AMIT GULATI June 26, 2018

Hi Nic, A sprint bucket can contain as many issues as i want it to contain and I can bring them from backlog in any order . I am not sure what does it mean by "Because a sprint is created by taking "the x top ranked issues"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

Generally, the approach to sprint planning is that you let your product owners rank the things you want to pull in, preferably with input from users and developers. 

That process should give you a ranked list of issues.

The team then selects the issues to go into the sprint.  In an ideal world you can simply take the ones off the top of the backlog, choosing the top X that fit within what your velocity says you can accommodate (this is why you can simply drag the sprint line down over the top-ranked issues until it is close yo what your velocity tells you can do)

Yes, you can, and do, "pull in what you want", but the overall scrum process is about getting the ranking from your people, so they inform what you choose to pull in.

Wade Sturman January 24, 2019

I've added the rank to my filter (ORDER BY Rank ASC), but I still don't have the ability to create a sprint. 

Has anyone else had this issue? We were able to create a sprint about 4 days ago, but not we can't, and the filter has not changed since then.

0 votes
ChangJoon Lee September 4, 2016

As of JIRA 7.2, who translated custom field Rank as their own language will not be able to use this button either.

I'm reverting back to Rank 

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

Could it be, that you somehow deleted the custom field "rank"provided by greenhopper/agile?

Suggest an answer