"Resolution" field doesn't save the value from "Resolve Issue Screen"

Mandarine Miss February 23, 2018

Hi there,

we're now setting up our workflow and just added a transition from ToDo to Done.

This transition has a "Resolve Issue Screen" assigned to it, so that the users can select why they mark the issue as "Done".

The status is successfully changed by this transition, but the Resolution field remains intact (Unresolved).

What have we missed in the setup?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
carla.manent May 9, 2022

Hi Mandarine, This is exactly what was hapenning t me and your solution worked. Thanks for sharing!

1 vote
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2018

Welcome to the world of JIRA :) 

There are two values in each ticket: status and resolution

The status can be "open", "to do", "done" etc.

The resolution can be "unresolved" (or empty) or it can have a value like "Closed", "done", "Rejected" etc.

When you customize a workflow you have to be sure that when a ticket goes to the "Closed" status also the resolution is updated accordingly.

Now when you have this "resolve issue screen" a user can choose a resolution from the drop down. If no resolution is chosen, the ticket will go into the status "done" but the resolution will still be empty (= "Unresolved")

Make sure the user needs to choose a resolution in your "Resolve Issue Screen". (for example make sure that not choosing a resolution and leave the field empty is not possible).

You can also add a "Post Function" to your transaction from "To Do" to "Done".

From the workflow screen, click on the transaction and the transaction details will appear; click on "Post Function" and another screen will appear; click on "add post function" and then choose "update field value" from the options you are given.

In there, choose "Resolution" and the resolution you prefer.

Remember to publish your workflow, or the changes will not apply!

I hope this helps

Mandarine Miss February 23, 2018

Hi Mirco,

thanks for answering so quickly!

Your comment is 100% valid, but not very helpful in our specific case. However thanks to you showing us the right direction, we managed to sort it out, and for potential people who might face the same issue I'll now explain why.

First I thought about permissions, but the fact that the field "Resolution" was present on the "Resolve Issue Screen" means that the user has proper rights to change its value. And then I read the comment from Mirco.

Somehow the transition from ToDo to Done we have added contained additional "Post Function" that was setting "Resolution" to "-1" every time the transaction was executed.

So despite the fact that the "Resolve Issue Screen" hanged on this transaction, its (updated) value got updated every time again by the "Post Function". For me it looked like not updating, but it was actually updating it even twice.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Benoit Fortier September 30, 2022

4 years later :-)

For me the problem is that the resolution status selected by the user in the "Resolve Issue Screen" is not saved correctly, because the Post Function changes the state of the resolution to "Done".

If the user select the resolution status "Wont' Do", after is save the issue screen (epic) should display "Won't Do" and not "Done"

Step 1 - Change the resolution status to "Won't Do"

image.png

Step 2 -  The issue screen (epic) display the resolution status "Done"

image.png

So, the result is not good, because, the Post Function, update the value of resolution status to "Done"

image.png

So, to fix the problem, you must remove the line number 1 (image above) and publish your modification (image below). After that, you need to set the issue status to "Done" so that the resolution window opens and that you assign a new resolution status.

Step 3 - Remove the line number 1 and publish

image.png

Step 4 - Retry to change the resolution status.

image.png

Step 5 - the result is good :-)

image.png

I hope this will help you

George Brand January 19, 2023

Thanks, this was our issue

Suggest an answer