"Not assignee" condition in a transition

Pavel Kabir June 29, 2018

There is an "only assignee" condition that allows the transition to be executed only if the current user is an assignee.

I need a reverse of that – forbid the assignee to execute that transition.

On a related note, I cannot use "user is not in custom field" type, because "Assignee" is not a custom field.

Any ideas?

4 answers

2 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2018

Hi @Pavel Kabir,

I think "Permissions based on Workflow Status" can help you with the case

https://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

Exactly!

This property should work

jira.permission.transitionIssues.denied = assignee
Pavel Kabir July 2, 2018

Thank you guys! Could you please explain what this would do for me?

As I understand, that will prevent the assignee from any transitioning of an issue that is in a particular status.

If my understanding is true, that would be a bit too strict – I just want to prevent the assignee from closing the issue. (just one type of transition)

That would really work best with transition conditions, but there just seems to be no appropriate condition for that. 

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

Hi Pavel,

Can you check what are your add-ons in you instance? I don't know all of the out of the box options with Jira Cloud, so maybe someone else can find you the right answer.

If you have not any add-ons or out of the box conditions for doing this, check this page and send it to your administrator and decision maker

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=workflow

Pavel Kabir July 2, 2018

Hi Christian! Thank you for answering. Unfortunately I haven't found any free add-ons for doing the job, and the costs of the paid ones are too high for so simple a job.

I am really surprised that such a simple functionality (inverting an "if") is not available out of the box...

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2018

Ok, check this workaround

There are 2 "virtual" permissions in Jira used for this situations: Close Issues and Resolve Issues. As far as I know, they are not used for anything else (do not affect to edit resolution neither end statuses)

Change your permission scheme and delete anything there which could allow the assignee to do it (groups, roles) and use permission validator/condition. Also, if you have a situation a bit more complex, then you can use properties to add or delete the resolver or close permission for other statuses.

Hope it helps!

0 votes
Lillian Shibata-Salley December 18, 2023

Hi - I'm not sure this is the same issue but I'm trying to do a conditional submission where the assignee is mandatory and they cannot submit if it's set to Unassigned.

I put the transition that Assignee is mandatory but for the condition, I tried couple of conditions but not working - I want to say don't submit if the Assignee = Unassigned forcing them to add someone.

Maybe it's something really simple and I'm missing it.

Thanks!

Lillian

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

HI @Pavel Kabir

Welcome to the community!

I need a reverse of that – forbid the assignee to execute that transition.

You mean that other than the Assignee users should be able to execute that transition correct?

If yes then don't add the Only Assignee condition on the transition, it will allow executing that transition to anyone.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

He also needs a condition like:

Only if issue.assigne != currentUser()

Fernando Sequeira October 23, 2018

Hi @Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor], do you know where I can add the condition that you describe above

Thanks

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2018

Hi Fernando,

You need an add-on to do exactly this, but you have above this answer other ways to do this. Check workflow properties or use Resolve and Close permissions in your permission scheme as conditions or validators.

And if you want an add-on, there are many which allow you to do this:

Workflow enhancer, Scriptrunner, JSU, SIL language....

Brian Strickler November 20, 2018

here is my use case.

the developer completes development and needs to have a code review completed.  i do not want them to transition from development to code review and allow for them to assign it to themselves.  

if i am following this thread correctly, i would need to research and install a plug-in to make this happen? 

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

It depends on the tools you are using. Jira itself is not a tool for development but a tracker, but it integrates with development tools.

For example, if you have Bitbucket or Bamboo and integrates with app links with Jira, you unlock the workflow triggers and development panel.

Some add-ons are free and others are paid, look exactly what your use case needs.

Suggest an answer