"Markdown mode is missing with new Jira View.

Adam Pehas April 4, 2019

Our company switched to a new ticket view in Jira.  Once they did that the little markdown switch is missing. I can't figure out how to write the special Jira text markdowns to format my comments/ticket descriptions.  Does the new editor not allow me to use Jira's "Markdown"

the part that is highlighted in yellow if missing from the UI with the new format. Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.07.04 PM.png

I see the following when i go to edit the content. Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.18.23 PM.png

5 answers

13 votes
Marc Greenfield October 29, 2019

"it is not required anymore" is debatable.

Removing source code editing is preventing me from fine-tuning the formatting of my comments -- the WYSIWYG tool does not get everything right.

In particular, there does not seem to be any way to adjust the size of image attachments to "thumbnail" in new view.    

5 votes
Ryan Caskey November 12, 2021

This needs to be brought back. This is part of many people's workflows...

4 votes
Adam Pehas April 8, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 4.37.59 PM.pngI really want to be able to edit or paste in markdown.  I want to be able to preserve the formatting.  So when I make a new ticket I can quickly paste in a formatted block of text.

When I paste "h3.User Story..." it thinks I want to have h3 as the text.  I want to paster the Jira form of Markdown. 

1 vote
Matthew G Russell October 18, 2022

We recently just "upgraded" too.  I see it's been 2-3 years since this was reported and in this new version I still can't markup my text.  I can't even monospace my text anymore. 

Why have a textarea at all if I can't format it inline?  If people can't format their text in an easy way, then they won't, leaving tickets much harder to read.

Removing styling text (leaving only WYSIWYG buttons) basically breaks jira.

When google did this to Google Docs, at least they had some hand waiving explanation about "breaking the DOM", here they don't even have that excuse

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Hello Adam,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

The blue button you mentioned in the old issue view is not present in the new issue view because it is not required anymore. Allow me to better explain:

In the old issue view, you used Wiki Markup format, where you used some specified characters to define the formatting options in your text(Bold, Italic, etc), however, you needed to click on the blue button to display a preview of how your text will be displayed once you save it.

in the new issue view, the markdown format displays the way your text will be displayed as soon as you use it, so you do not need to click on the blue button to have this information previously.

Let me know if this information clarifies your question. :)

Adam Pehas April 8, 2019

I have a template that is in markdown.  I want to paste it into the description.   When I paste h3. User Story / Bug Description in it doesn't respect the markdown. 

Like # people like this
Phil Dennis August 19, 2020

Yeah, this is all very well, but really, removal of the markdown feature needs to be accompanied by a way to copy/paste from an existing ticket while preserving the formatting.... I'm trying to make a new request based on a prior one, and fill in different information in a table that's copied over; however all formatting is lost when copy-pasting from the issue view into the new request.

Like # people like this
Richard Sitze September 8, 2021

I'm no longer able to COPY in whole or in part from a description of one ticket, into the description for a new ticket.

This is NOT acceptable behavior.

Like # people like this
Charles Mattson September 10, 2021

So basically Atlassian is saying: write all your worklogs in a text editor first with markdown, then copy it into the ticket, since displaying markdown as-source is now broken. Got it.

Like # people like this
Stephen Reichling November 2, 2021

I have the same problem with copy/pasted text, plus the reverse problem as well: sometimes I want to copy markdown-formatted text out of Jira and into something else that also uses markdown (e.g. a GitHub pull request). The new Jira UI gives me no way to do this.

Please restore the ability to work with formatted text as markdown. There's no reason to remove a feature that was working and is clearly a part of many peoples' workflows.

Like # people like this
Noah Rosenfield December 5, 2021

Can we please get this fixed already? This isn't some edge case. Moving between editing markdown files in JIRA as well as a local code editor is pretty much an everyday use case. Showing markdown at ticket creation time but then never again? What gives?

Like # people like this
stdedos April 11, 2022

Removing that feature is not acceptable. I write in Markdown very often; WYSIWYG is not acceptable to me nowadays - or ever for that matter.

Like # people like this
victoraugustofd May 7, 2022

I don't understand how removing this feature is even considered on Jira Backlog. Is there any open tickets that we can raise votes for rolling back the removal of this feature?
I totally agree with @stdedos

P.S.: as you can see, an option to edit the rich text would have avoided the hyperlink on my whole phrase above.

P.S. 2: I am editting my comment, the hyperlink on the username simply removed the following text that I have written, one more reason why editting rich text is a necessary feature, even on Atlassian support pages.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer