It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

"Markdown mode is missing with new Jira View. Edited

Our company switched to a new ticket view in Jira.  Once they did that the little markdown switch is missing. I can't figure out how to write the special Jira text markdowns to format my comments/ticket descriptions.  Does the new editor not allow me to use Jira's "Markdown"

the part that is highlighted in yellow if missing from the UI with the new format. Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.07.04 PM.png

I see the following when i go to edit the content. Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.18.23 PM.png

3 answers

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 4.37.59 PM.pngI really want to be able to edit or paste in markdown.  I want to be able to preserve the formatting.  So when I make a new ticket I can quickly paste in a formatted block of text.

When I paste "h3.User Story..." it thinks I want to have h3 as the text.  I want to paster the Jira form of Markdown. 

0 votes

Hello Adam,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

The blue button you mentioned in the old issue view is not present in the new issue view because it is not required anymore. Allow me to better explain:

In the old issue view, you used Wiki Markup format, where you used some specified characters to define the formatting options in your text(Bold, Italic, etc), however, you needed to click on the blue button to display a preview of how your text will be displayed once you save it.

in the new issue view, the markdown format displays the way your text will be displayed as soon as you use it, so you do not need to click on the blue button to have this information previously.

Let me know if this information clarifies your question. :)

I have a template that is in markdown.  I want to paste it into the description.   When I paste h3. User Story / Bug Description in it doesn't respect the markdown. 

Like # people like this

"it is not required anymore" is debatable.

Removing source code editing is preventing me from fine-tuning the formatting of my comments -- the WYSIWYG tool does not get everything right.

In particular, there does not seem to be any way to adjust the size of image attachments to "thumbnail" in new view.    

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

308 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you