"Field value changed" trigger does not count for value changed by automation, in Automation rule

Yining Wang February 18, 2020

Hi community,

I was trying to implement the following automation in my cloud using Automation rule:

1. We have issuetypes of epic, task, and sub-task.

2. There is a number field called priority sequence (PS), as a number from 1~9, for each issue type.

3. For task, we have field called task priority sequence (TPS), formatted as [epic's PS][task's PS]. For example, if an epic's PS is 3, and a task under that epic has PS of 5, then the task's TPS is 35.

4. Similarly, for sub-task, we have field called Sub-task priority sequence (SPS), which has three digits and formatted in a similar way as TPS. Using the above example, if a sub-task under that task has PS of 9. then the SPS for the sub-task is 359.

I want to have automation rules that update TPS and SPS each time when the PS of parent/epic changes. So far, the rule works for TPS. But I have a similar one in place for SPS, it does not work when the PS changes for the epic. 

TPS.JPG

TPS.JPG

SPS.JPG

<Update SPS>

I am guessing that it is because when PS in the epic changes, the TPS will changed by automation, but such changes by automation does not count for "value changed", so that the rule on SPS, which watches the changes on TPS, does not respond or update SPS.

I was wondering if it is the case and how could I make it work?

If automation rule doesn't work in my case, are there any other methods I can try?

Thanks! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update:

I figured out a way to do it is through changing the epic:

TPS-SPS.JPG

But going through all sub-tasks is VERY slow, and I was wondering if there is any better way to do it. 

1 answer

0 votes
Patty Land
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2022

Hi there,

You're correct that the change in TPS which was triggered by the first automation will not trigger the second automation, because the update does not publish an issue updated event by default when it's done via automation; however, you can actually publish an issue updated event as an action within your automation. This will then trigger the second automation, which is more efficient than the current solution because the index doesn't have to search for every incomplete sub-task every time.

IssueUpdated.PNG

Suggest an answer