"Done" issues don't show in a Kanban board - can this be changed?

Tom Elfers May 6, 2024

I have a team managed 'software' project using the Kanban style (not scrum), and when I change the status for a task to "Done", it doesn't show in the Done column. This is not after 2 weeks, it disappears from the board immediately. I've read various posts about this and many point to options/settings that don't exist on my project, whether it's from an old version or different configuration.

To me it seems a total waste of taking up screen space for nothing, but I'd rather show the "Done" tasks on the board, and I'll make the decision of when to remove them. So does anyone know if showing "Done" tasks is do-able with the configuration I have?

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2024

Hi @Tom Elfers 

That is not configurable for a team-managed board, and there are several suggestions to make it an option for users.  Here is one example, which you may watch / vote for to see progress:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21257

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2024

Hi @Tom Elfers 

The team managed projects are setup where the done columns keeps the issues for 2 weeks.

If you would like it longer, it maybe better to setup a company managed project. This will allow you to configure this. Attach is how you would configure this if you have a company managed Kanban project created.

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 10.56.35 AM.png

Please, accept my answer if you find it useful 
And hope that helps!
Tom Elfers May 6, 2024

That's weird - I had a "Done" issue that never seemed to appear in the Done column on the board. However just now, I dragged/dropped one to Done and it appeared there, and also edited the status to "Done" and that also appeared on the board in Done. So not sure what happened there - working now though.

I don't think we want to switch to company managed - it appears to require more in-depth knowledge. We are a small engineering team, can't afford to dedicate a lot of time to JIRA. If a "Done" issue times out, can I get it back to the board to show as Done? It appears in the Issue list - I tried changing the status to one of the other columns but that doesn't make it appear back on the board. If I could get it on the board, then I can drag it to the Done column. Any ideas?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events