"Create a new project" dialog differences based on group

Adam Johnson April 12, 2018

My company is setting up Jira, and I'm trying to allow our users to create projects, but not delete them.  That led me to discover this behavior:

When someone in the group jira-administrators tries to create a project, they are presented with different options than users in the group jira-software-users.  The jira-administrators are able to choose a project type (Scrum, Kanban, etc.), while the jira-software-users only have the "Agility" option.  And the jira-software-users have an "Access" option.

Why the differences?  Is there a way to allow jira-software-users to change the template, or change what the default template is?

This is a screenshots of the "Create a new project" dialog for jira-administrators:

Create new project jira-administrators.png 

This is a screenshot of the same dialog for jira-software-users:

Create new project jira-software-users.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2018

Hi Adam,

I guess by looking at your screenshots that you're using Jira Cloud? Regular users can only create independent projects, see documentation here:

Currently, you can only create independent projects using the agility project template.

That's why you see a difference between administrator and user views - for now, only administrators can create regular projects and choose from different templates.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Adam Johnson April 12, 2018

Yes, we're using Jira Cloud.  And your answer gives me what I need to continue configuration for our team.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer