"Configured Username Attribute is not found in the provider response" error from JIRA REST API

Josh Eisinger May 22, 2023

I have begun getting this error from our JIRA REST API, and I'm not sure what it means, or how to fix.  (I can't find references to it on here, Stackoverflow, or anywhere else):

Configured Username Attribute is not found in the provider response
Could anyone advise?  (This is happening for all REST calls, and these were working a few days ago...)

1 answer

0 votes
Ken McClean
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

What's an example of an API endpoint you're using? What code are you using to reach it?

Josh Eisinger May 23, 2023

All endpoints are suddenly receiving this error -- even just a basic GET to query an individual issue:

/rest/api/2/issue/

The application is running in Python, but I get the same results even just testing via Postman

Ken McClean
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2023

Sounds like you're either not providing the username attribute that Jira is expecting, or the username you're using is invalid/inactive.

It's possible that the token you're using to authenticate has expired, and that this is just a misleading error message.

Josh Eisinger May 23, 2023

The ID is correct - and, actually, I'm able to manually log in to the UI with these credentials.   And I'm pulling a fresh token each time I test.  (And this also was working fine until last week).  Just not sure what may have changed that are bringing on this error, and what, specifically, this error really means.

Suggest an answer