quadrant

Fred van der Sluijs June 6, 2015

is there a way to (automatically) graphically represent (calculated) characteristics (impact / feasibility) per project in a quadrant?

3 answers

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015

This is how I'd build this:

1. Define 10 custom fields of select list type (with options 1,2,3 and 4) for the dimensions. Possibly make them required.
  2. Build an XLSX template for the Better Excel Plugin which:
    1. Exports the issue key, some extra metadata (summary, link, etc.) and these 10 fields to a worksheet (tutorial)
    2. Defines an XY chart with this input data range (tutorial 1 and 2)
  3. Execute a JQL query that returns the issues to be displayed in the quadrant and export them to Excel using this template sheet
  4. Voila!

0 votes
Fred van der Sluijs June 7, 2015
Hi Nic,
Thanks for replying so swiftly. The idea is as follows: The quadrant will represent 
  • Feasibility
    • # dependencies
    • # departments involved
    • Clearness of scope
    • Estimated execution time 
    • Availability of expertise
  • Impact 
    • Legal requirements
    • Contractual arrangements
    • Business case
    • Client relevance
    • # Product groups improving
These 10 fields need to be rated in a 3 (or preferably 4-)point scale (1, 2, 3, 4), so the scales themselves need to range from 5 to 20. Anything resembling this would also do (high/medium/low depending on preset ranges for example). I think I will be able to adopt our way of working (which I am trying to establish) to the possibilities that JIRA has. So if you could guide me in the right direction..
P.s. The whole idea is to have a means to present the projects/epics to the board for decision making on priorities.
Thanks!
Regards, Fred
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2015

Ok, I'm not sure what you're expect from this though. All I can see from that is that you want 10 custom fields with a set of ratings (add 10 select lists or radio buttons, job done) There's no specification for how you want to use this data in any detail. But I suspect you need to do some form of calculations, which are too arbitrary for JIRA to have a general case for. So you'll need to build it yourself. There is a quick decision to make - do it externally (Ferenc has essentially answered that) or build something in JIRA to do it automatically. If it's not a hugely complex output, I'd probably try to do it with a scripted field from the script-runner addon.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2015

Possibly, but it depends on how you're entering the data that builds into JIRA and what you mean by "quadrant" (area of four, but what area and how are you dividing it?  What are the rules and boundaries?)

Suggest an answer