project visibility to certain users

I have a couple developers looking at Jira to get our feed back on there games but I dont want certain developers to see every thing how do I control what users can and cannot see in our Jira.

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

You can limit what project they can see and what they can do by configuring the Permission Scheme. Moreover, if you would like them to see the same project but only certain issues, you can use Issue-Level Security.

Different schemes can be associated to different projects. Which would allow you to have Team A to only see project A, while Team B to only see project B.

Hi, could you be more specific in how to do this? I looked through the permissions and couldn't figure out which item I would need to change for say Project A to be viewable only to Team A, and Project B to be viewable only to Team B. As a test, I've changed "Browse project" to be viewable only to group "administrators", but everyone else can still view all projects after that.

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Ian

Thanks for your answer Zulfadli, however i have a slightly different opinion on this.

I would not recommend managing project visibility with groups and permission schemes. Firstly, because you will have to create a new permission scheme for each new project. Secondly, the ownership of managing the permission of projects would rest on jira admins and consider this overhead if you have 500 projects.

What we have in our organisation is one single permission scheme and i have added the project role say Developers in the browse project permission. This way the project admins can add relevant people to their project role - Developers and manage who can see the project.

On restricting the visibility of issues within project, i agree issue security scheme is the best option. Again on this, i would avoid a scenario where i have multiple security schemes one for each project(not a scalable option). What i recommend is that we have one single security scheme and when we define our security levels - we add project roles to it, so this way ownership of who can view what issues within a project again rests with project admin.

Rahul

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

85 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you