project admin jira import issues

JIRA import can use "External System Import", but it need JIRA admin.

How can a project admin or develop role import issues.

3 answers

1 accepted

simple and short

no way.

you need at least system administration access

Tannks, I had to use other solutions.

Actually in newer versions of JIRA Importers Plugin you can run it with administrator permission (no need to by sysadmin). But it's not possible to import issues (or any other items) when you're a regular user.

But the import user just have project manage permission.

So I think, I need to using REST to realize this function.

Thanks you answers.

Pawel Niewiadomski [Atlassian] states that "in newer versions of JIRA Importers Plugin you can run it with administrator permission (no need to by sysadmin)". That seems to indicate to me that a Project Admin should be able to import now (with the latest version of the plugin). I may be misinterpreting this, so if that is the case please do let me know. If my interpretation is correct, then it would be good to know how a project admin can be enabled for this functionality or where they access it. Thanks!

@Karin: JIRA has several levels for admins:

1) global system administrator (god power)

2) global administrator (almost god power)

3) project administrator (far from god and just sandboxed to a project)

JIRA Importers plugin requires you to be either 1) or 2). Project admin does not suffice. So Pawel is correct, but you misinterprete it.

0 vote
Renjith Pillai Community Champion Dec 31, 2012

Or script it using JIRA REST or SOAP.

I just want to confirm the project manager have the permission.

So I have to use the REST to realize import function.

Thanks your answer.

It appears to be the case that the system administrator can set things up so that a project administrator can import: 

Not sure if that applies to both hosted and on-prem Jira.

I am unable to access this link - Page Not Found.

How to give Projects->Import External Project" access permission to Project lead?

Neither of the links work =(

Is there a way for a project admin to import issues that someone can link to?

The second link works fine, the first has a couple of characters added by this platform (it's a known bug) - try it again, but lose the %A0 on the end of the url

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], do you know what version of Confluence introduced this bug please? We are looking at upgrading (finally) but this bug would break the way our documentation is shared...

This isn't Confluence, this is Lithium.  Confluence doesn't have padding bugs.

Thanks for replying Nic! I thought you were talking about Bob Swift's changed link, where there are now extra bits in the URL of his Confluence page.
I don't see any other padding in the links, hence my confusion :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I was - lithium padded it when the data was brought in from the last version of this site!  But glad you've managed to get there now!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Mar 17, 2018 in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

626 views 6 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot