possibilities of Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud

Oleksandr Melnyk March 23, 2023

Hi.

I am new with Scriptrunner in Jira Cloud and want to clarify some question.

1. Is it possible to run some bash/shell commands or scripts in Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud?
  2. Is it possible to call to some external systems from Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud. For example create user in Google Workspace using Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Yes and no.

SR can't run the command line on the servers running Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket - SR and other apps have no access to the servers running a Cloud instance.  Equally, the apps have no access to the 3rd party servers they are running on (to put it nicely, it's an attack vector that no-one would want to open up)

But you could write scripts that could run shell commands on a remote server.  You'd obviously need to set up that remote server to let SR in to run the commands, and define how it does it.  And yes, I've done this as a poc - there is a Jira cloud instance that can turn one of my living room lights on and off as an issue moves through its workflow.

TLDR: yes, you can use SR to talk to other non-atlassian systems.

Your second question is an interesting one for me, I can't tell you if you can create users that way, but that's because I don't work with Google that much.  If there's a remote API for "create google user", then I am pretty sure SR can trigger it, but I can't say for definite until I've looked.

Oleksandr Melnyk March 26, 2023

Thank you!

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

I think the best approach would be the check out the Adaptavist documentation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events