• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

permission to create a version, but not to manage project

I need to give a permission to create a version to project's lead, but forbid any changes to project structure. If I get it right it's defined by "administer project" permission. Any idea how to split them up? tnx.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Ok, so trick was really weird. I didn't want to dive into plugin development yet, so I had to find another solution. The key was server redirection via urlrewrite.xml. I added these lines:

<rule>
<condition type="session-attribute" name="jiraPrjConfPermission" operator="notequal">granted</condition>
	<from>^.*plugins/servlet/project-config(.*)$</from>
	<to type="temporary-redirect">/secure/Dashboard.jspa</to>
    </rule>
    <rule>
	<from>^.*grant-permission/prjconf/123WEIRDKEY$</from>
	<set type="session" name="jiraPrjConfPermission">granted</set>
	<to type="temporary-redirect">/secure/project/ViewProjects.jspa</to>
    </rule>

So now when a user try to configure a project he just can't get to required url, unless permission's been granted. Admins just need to know that magic url. I realize it's definitely not best practice, but I don't need very robust solution, more like exclude unnecessary tools from user's toolbox. And it works ok so far.

5 votes

You can't. Administrate project allows a user to change componets, versions and users. That's it. There's no more granularity.

The next level up is "jira admin" who can do almost all the admin actions across every project (and above that, there's "root")

You'll need a plugin that relies on java code that bypasses the usual security (if you wanted to do it remotely, you'd need a plugin that opens up that control anyway).

Anything is possible in code, but we tend to answer questions from a UI only point of view unless coding is explicitly mentioned up front!

tnx for answer, but never say never :) i believe there's always some weird trick, I just can't find a direction to possible solution. so to be more accurate - my question is what kind of attlasian technology do I need to create a project version regardless user permissions?

Has there been any change with this issue? We are evaluating JIRA for our engineering team and granting engineers the ability to conduct releases (i.e. create versions) is critical. Thanks.

No change. I'd suggest you watch the issues on Atlassian's Jira

Yep, cast your vote and comment on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3156, this seems to be the umbrella issue for these types of administration delegation issues.

tnx for answer, but never say never :) i believe there's always some weird trick, I just can't find a direction to possible solution. so to be more accurate - my question is what kind of attlasian technology do I need to create a project version regardless user permissions?

to be more accurate - my question is what kind of attlasian technology do I need to create a project version regardless user permissions?

0 votes
Radek Janata Community Leader Aug 19, 2020

Let's add a bit more recent info to this old question.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you