permission to create a version, but not to manage project

ViktorT October 3, 2011

I need to give a permission to create a version to project's lead, but forbid any changes to project structure. If I get it right it's defined by "administer project" permission. Any idea how to split them up? tnx.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ViktorT October 5, 2011

Ok, so trick was really weird. I didn't want to dive into plugin development yet, so I had to find another solution. The key was server redirection via urlrewrite.xml. I added these lines:

<rule>
<condition type="session-attribute" name="jiraPrjConfPermission" operator="notequal">granted</condition>
	<from>^.*plugins/servlet/project-config(.*)$</from>
	<to type="temporary-redirect">/secure/Dashboard.jspa</to>
    </rule>
    <rule>
	<from>^.*grant-permission/prjconf/123WEIRDKEY$</from>
	<set type="session" name="jiraPrjConfPermission">granted</set>
	<to type="temporary-redirect">/secure/project/ViewProjects.jspa</to>
    </rule>

So now when a user try to configure a project he just can't get to required url, unless permission's been granted. Admins just need to know that magic url. I realize it's definitely not best practice, but I don't need very robust solution, more like exclude unnecessary tools from user's toolbox. And it works ok so far.

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2011

You can't. Administrate project allows a user to change componets, versions and users. That's it. There's no more granularity.

The next level up is "jira admin" who can do almost all the admin actions across every project (and above that, there's "root")

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2011

You'll need a plugin that relies on java code that bypasses the usual security (if you wanted to do it remotely, you'd need a plugin that opens up that control anyway).

Anything is possible in code, but we tend to answer questions from a UI only point of view unless coding is explicitly mentioned up front!

Like YuGieom Kim likes this
ViktorT October 3, 2011

tnx for answer, but never say never :) i believe there's always some weird trick, I just can't find a direction to possible solution. so to be more accurate - my question is what kind of attlasian technology do I need to create a project version regardless user permissions?

Alex Kalish August 10, 2014

Has there been any change with this issue? We are evaluating JIRA for our engineering team and granting engineers the ability to conduct releases (i.e. create versions) is critical. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2014

No change. I'd suggest you watch the issues on Atlassian's Jira

Bruce von Kugelgen October 7, 2014

Yep, cast your vote and comment on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3156, this seems to be the umbrella issue for these types of administration delegation issues.

0 votes
Radek Janata August 19, 2020

Let's add a bit more recent info to this old question.

0 votes
ViktorT October 3, 2011

to be more accurate - my question is what kind of attlasian technology do I need to create a project version regardless user permissions?

0 votes
ViktorT October 3, 2011

tnx for answer, but never say never :) i believe there's always some weird trick, I just can't find a direction to possible solution. so to be more accurate - my question is what kind of attlasian technology do I need to create a project version regardless user permissions?

Suggest an answer