parent epic link to epik link field

Ivan Davydov December 6, 2022

Hi, I want to create an effector that take parent epic link value and assign to the current issue(task). I've created custom formula in Jira structure Story_elink = PARENT(Epiclink). Then I tried to use "Attribute to a issue field" option. But I can't find Epic link field in the list of fields. The question is...why?? :)

2 answers

1 vote
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2023

Hello @Ivan Davydov ,

The short explanation here is that Epic Link, while called a Custom Field, has its value stored with links.  

The attribute to issue field effector is not designed to update links.

Please feel free to share some more about your goal here.  We are always happy to hear about what new features would be helpful!

Best,
David

todd_george January 24, 2023

@David Niro 

I believe I have a similar issue to Ivan. When I drag and drop an issue into an epic in the hierarchy (now it's under a specific epic) the epic link is not updated. Is this not possible in Structure today?

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 25, 2023

Hi @todd_george ,

How is your structure set up?  Are you using Generators to create your hierarchy of Epics > Story / Task? .  Specifically an Extend Generator to display the relationship between the two issue types?

If so, and the Epic Link is not being created, it could be that you have Manual Adjustments enabled for the structure.  You will want to disable this. 

If it's not the case, (you are not using Generators, or Manual Adjustments), it may be that you are building your structure manually.  Here, you would want to start using Generators to build your structure.

I hope this helps!  Please do feel free to reach out to our support team directly to discuss your set up in more detail.  We can be reached via support@almworks.com or via our customer portal support.almworks.com

Best,
David

Like # people like this
todd_george January 26, 2023

@David Niro 

It was the manual adjustments, so thank you for that!

Lastly, when I try to move an item with no Epic into an epic, I get "Cannot Remove Issues from JQL query Result"

I understand that the item is in the structure because of a JQL query, so I would like to understand how to get this:

• Epic
    • Stories under Epic
  • More Epics
  • Initiatives
    • Epic
      • Stories under Epic
  • Stories not in epic

Currently I do this with automations:

• Add issues belonging to epics
  • Insert epics from "Goliath Development"
  • Insert issues: type != Epic AND "Epic Link" is EMPTY

Is there a better way of bringing in items without epics without JQL?

If this is better talking to support let me know.

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
January 26, 2023

Hi @todd_george ,

Glad to hear that worked for you!

That's a great use case and there is actually a workaround for it. 

When you go to move an issue that has no Epic under an Epic in your structure, hold option if you are on Mac, or Ctrl if you are on PC when you are moving the issue.  This will "copy" the issue (don't worry the actual Jira issue is not cloned) to the new spot.

In doing this, you will not initially be removing the issue from the JQL query, you will be telling the structure you also want it in this other place.  The benefit is that once the Epic link is added to the issue (from the drag and drop), it will no longer match your JQL query and be removed from the top level of the hierarchy.

Please give it a try and let me know if it helps!

Best,
David

Like # people like this

Once again, worked like a charm.

Hopefully the last issue, when I try to add an Epic into an Initiative, I get "Epics cannot be added to other epics."

Is it trying to set the Epic link of the epic when I move it under a top level item?

Like # people like this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
January 26, 2023

Hello @todd_george ,

Perfect!  Glad to hear it!

From the description you provided, it seems like the only extend generator you have is "issues belonging to Epics", so yes, when you try to move an issue under another, this is the relationship it is looking for.  

Adding another Extend Generator should help with this.  How is the relationship between the Epics and Initiatives defined currently?  Are you using custom issue links to identify that Epics are part of a particular Initiative?  If so, you will want to use the Linked Issues... option when you add your new Extend Generator.

This will define that you have a different relationship between your Initiatives to your Epics than you do from you Epics to Stories / Tasks.  

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have some other criteria that identifies which Epics belong under an Initiative.

Best,
David

Like # people like this

Extending by Linked Issues did it with custom issue links did it.

Thank you for all your help!

Like # people like this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
January 26, 2023

You are very welcome!!

One issue I found with the Linked Issue Extender is that when items are moved into an Epic, they get the Epic Link AND the Linked issue type, causing items to be duplicated.

Any way to restrict which extender is applied when moving items?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
January 26, 2023

@todd_george ,

You should be prompted to pick one or the other when moving issues under an Epic.  Is that not happening?

Is it possible that some of the issues had both links for some reason?

Best,
David

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2022

Hi @Ivan Davydov 

Can I clarify what an Effector is in this scenario?

Is this an Automation Rule? Or something related to the App "Structure"?

Ste

Ivan Davydov December 29, 2022

Hi Stephen! 
You are right. Effector = automation rule for Structure 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2022

Hi Ivan,

Not something I regularly use I'm afraid, but thanks for clarifying.

If you could use Automation for this instead, I can certainly help there if you provide a few more details about the need :)

Ste

Suggest an answer