org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to initialize component [Connector[AJP/1.3-8454]]

swati gupta December 12, 2019

URGENT!!!!!!

Encountered below error at JIRA server

org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to initialize component [Connector[AJP/1.3-8454]]

due to which application was not working at that moment.

Restarted the service and it ran again. 

Seems there was an issue with Apache that time, but what can be the issue and how it got rectified?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2019

Hi Swati,

I see that you are having a problem with a connector when Jira starts.  It's difficult to say for sure what the cause is here with the information we have now. I understand that this AJP connector did not initialize when Jira started, but as to why? Well I would expect that this error generated a stack trace, as well as potentially a 'caused by' section in that stacktrace that could give us more details here.

There are at least two conditions I know of that can cause that. One is explained in a Confluence KB https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/ssl-connector-fails-to-initialize-during-tomcat-startup-646251490.html but this is specific to using SSL and the java jvm missing the keystore.

Another possibility could be that the port in question, 8454, could already be in use on that system. But if that happens the stacktrace will contain a message such as 'unable to bind, port already in use' or something of that nature.

There could also be other causes that I'm just not aware of yet.  Perhaps you can provide more of the error in the $JIRAINSTALL/logs/catalina.out file when this happens.  That log file will have more detailed information for startup problem in Jira than the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file tends to have.

Thanks

Andy

Suggest an answer