notifying non-jira users at issue creation

Santiago September 18, 2013

I know this has been discussed several times...but is there another way of notifying a non-jira user when creating an issue that is NOT by the "updated" event when the custo email is filled in?

As far as i could see, the way JEMH works is that after issue creation, when JEMH fills the e-mail custom field with the non-jira user email, the "updated" event is triggered and so is the email notification sent.Wouldnt that event trigger an email with every change that happens on the issue?

Because we only want the non-jira user to receive 1 mail when the issue is created and another mail when the issue is resolved.

By using the "updated" event then the non-jira user is going to receive an email when the resolver comments, if the resolver changes the component, if the resolver assigns the issue to another person... this is not desired

2 answers

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2013

The best way to do this is as part of the workflow, on the initial transition from Create -> Open.

You can add your own "post-function", one of which allows you to send custom emails. This is incredibaly easy with Jamie's excellent Script Runner plugin.

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts?src=contextnavchildmode#Built-InScripts-SendCustomEmail

Santiago September 19, 2013

Thanks for the answer, but you have to place the custom email on the post-function isnt it? We need that email to be dinamic since its always going to be send to a different email address (the person that sent the email requesting something)

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2013

Where is the email stored?

You should be able to use the value of a field as the email address.

issue.reporter.emailAddress
issue.customFieldValue(CustomField)

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

If you're using current 1.4.x releases of JEMH, there is now a JEMH Post Function with ad-hoc Template support, there is a How To.

0 votes
Daniel Howell January 19, 2014

Hi there - I'm new to Jira and JEMH. I have followed the steps in the How To for Ad Hoc templates, and my "Issue Created" post function is sending an email to a static email address I have entered in the Bcc field.

But I can't see anywhere in the documenation that explains how to send the notification to the user who sent the email in. When I edit the workflow and add the Post Function, it has a list of Custom fields to select in under TO:

customfield_10017 : Account

customfield_10003 : Business Value

customfield_10011 : Customer Request Type

customfield_10018 : Email Users

customfield_10009 : Epic Colour

customfield_10006 : Epic Link

customfield_10007 : Epic Name

customfield_10008 : Epic Status

customfield_10001 : Epic/Theme

customfield_10013 : First Agent Comment

customfield_10000 : Flagged

customfield_10010 : Phase

customfield_10004 : Rank

customfield_10200 : Release Version History

customfield_10005 : Sprint

customfield_10002 : Story Points

customfield_10015 : Time to first response

customfield_10014 : Time to resolution

customfield_10012 : Time to resolved

customfield_10016 : Time waiting for support

Am I supposed to select one of these? If not, then how do you do it?

Cheers,

Daniel

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2014

Hi Daniel,

Can you clarify what type of recipient you are sending email to? Are you creating JIRA users or supporting email only users? First rev of that feature supports the email only users and specific addressees. Email only users have their email addresses written to a custom field, which are then used for notification. I guess that if you have not setup JEMH to capture those addresses (I dont see something that could be such a field) then the remote addressee information is lost and cannot be used. Please see the From Scratch guide that covers setting up JEMH from end to end.

Effectively you need to create a Custom Field that your Email > SENDER PROCESSING: NON JIRA-USER > Assign non jira-users Email to Text CustomField value points to the TEXT (unlimited) field that you would then select in the adhoc stage, this would then also include all other recipients, if you wanted to target a specific address, you just use the email address.

This has pointed out support for full JIRA users. Looks like a feature gap! Mailing the reporter, so obvious, just not what I was focussed on. I'll chalk this up (JEMH-2030) for near term development.

Suggest an answer