notification assistant' add-on generates error when trying to send automated email

Kris Van de Vijver March 13, 2019

I've configured the Notification Assistant add-on to automatically send an email when a specific ticket is generated (based upon the summary text).

When I click 'Run now' to test it, the result is a 500 error with the following line in the log file:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchResults.getResults()Ljava/util/List;

I have no idea what could be wrong.. any help is much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

A NoSuchMethodError indicates that there is some plugin that not loaded into Jira that is needed in order to run some command

1. What version of Jira is this?
  2. What version of the notification assistant plugin does your system have?
  3. Can you run the following SQL command to see what plugins might be disabled on a database level? 
    select * from pluginstate;
Kris Van de Vijver March 15, 2019

Hi Andrew,

we're using:

1. Jira v7.12.2

JIRA Service Desk Application v3.15.2

2. Notification Assistant Version 6.0.1

3. this query gave zero results

thanks for helping!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Hi Kris,

I think I figured out what is happening here.  That specific plugin version is actually not compatible with Jira 7.x and earlier versions.  You can see this in the marketplace listing over at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211069/notification-assistant-for-jira/version-history

The 6.x versions of this plugin are specifically made for Jira 8.  Hence, the code package it is trying to call here only exists in Jira 8, and not in your Jira 7.12.2 version.

For your Jira 7.12.2, I would recommend using the 5.4.6 version of that plugin (which you can download from that version history page), unless you'd rather upgrade Jira to 8.0.2.   Either way should allow you to make this plugin function correctly.  I think it would likely be easier to follow these steps instead:

1. Stop Jira
  2. Remove the old 6.0.1 .jar file from your $JIRAHOME/plugins/installed-plugins/
  3. Copy in the 5.4.6 .jar file to this same directory
  4. Start Jira.

It might be possible to do this without stopping Jira, but this way is one way to make sure that we can clear additional caches that might be in use.  I'm not sure if there are any side effects of trying to downgrade this plugin in this manner, so the extra precaution of stopping Jira might be helpful here in getting this plugin working.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Like Kris Van de Vijver likes this

Suggest an answer