new Jira issue view - a custom field disappears from the screen after a second or so

Itay Keller July 17, 2019

We have a custom field in our Jira project.

Since the "new Jira issue view" was introduced a few weeks ago, we noticed that when entering the issue page, the custom field is seen for a second or two and then disappears.

Any idea how to fix this?

2 answers

0 votes
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
April 15, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz 

I'm still having this issue. I have a classic (company managed) jira software project with a simplified workflow, so there is only one screen. I've created the custom field (single choice select list), and successfully added it to my config. I can see and use it.

The problem happened when I added a context. I can still see the field for the original project without issue. But on the project that has the new context I'm getting the disappearing behaviour.

Thanks

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
April 15, 2021

Cringe. My bad. I had some funky permissions on my project that were a hangover from some previous and unrelated testing.

Sorry. WILL DO BETTER NEXT TIME. But this is a good reminder to check things like

1. permissions

2. how many projects are sharing the screen config

Like Angélica Luz likes this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

Hi Itay,

Just for us to better understand and help you with this issue, I will make some questions.
Is this a classic or a next-gen project?
What is the type of the project (Software, Business, Service Desk)?
What is the type of the custom field?
Are you the only user facing this issue?
Would it be possible testing using incognito mode or other browsers?

If you are using next-gen, please go to Project settings > Issue types > Select the desired issue type and check if the field appears on the screen.

If it's a classic one, please go to Project settings > Issue layout > Edit layout and check if the field shows correctly.

With this information, we will be able to further investigate what may be causing the issue.

Regards,
Angélica

Itay Keller July 28, 2019

Hi Angelica.

Is this a classic or a next-gen project?  - Classic
What is the type of the project (Software, Business, Service Desk)? - Regular Software project.
What is the type of the custom field? Person selector
Are you the only user facing this issue? No. Seems like other uses don't even see the field at all. Not even for a second.
Would it be possible testing using incognito mode or other browsers? I will try later.

If you are using next-gen, please go to Project settings > Issue types > Select the desired issue type and check if the field appears on the screen.

If it's a classic one, please go to Project settings > Issue layout > Edit layout and check if the field shows correctly. - Yes, it is.

I don't know if something was changed in the Jira cloud, but it seems to be ok now, and the field can be seen...
So it seems like the issue is resolved

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Lacey September 9, 2019

I am having this SAME issue...Please advise

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2019

Hi Lacey,

Can you please let me know the same information I asked on my previous answer?

Is this a classic or a next-gen project?
What is the type of the project (Software, Business, Service Desk)?
What is the type of the custom field?
Are you the only user facing this issue?
Would it be possible testing using incognito mode or other browsers?

If it's a classic one, please go to Project settings > Issue layout > Edit layout and check if the field shows correctly.

Regards,
Angélica

Lacey September 11, 2019

I figured out the issue...please disregard. Thanks!

A-Jay_Nicolas October 2, 2019

@Angélica Luz I checked this settings page and the Business Value field is correctly listed as a Primary Field above Story Points, but the field still won't persist once the issue is fully loaded.

Is this a classic or a next-gen project? Classic, with New Jira Issue View enabled
What is the type of the project (Software, Business, Service Desk)? Software
What is the type of the custom field? Business Value (numeric?)
Are you the only user facing this issue? No
Would it be possible testing using incognito mode or other browsers? Yes; I tried it in Chrome's incognito - the field appears while the issue is loading in both the Backlog issue view panel and when viewing the issue as its own page, but disappears once the page is fully loaded.

A-Jay_Nicolas October 3, 2019

I figured it out! Custom fields' visibility is controlled by its Configuration Scheme (Jira settings > Issues > Custom fields > Business Value > ••• > Configure > Edit Configuration). I saw that for Business Value, the Default Configuration Scheme for Business Value is set to only show for Epics and Stories – and I kept looking at Bugs and Tasks to see if I enabled it correctly. Thanks anyway!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2019

Hi A-Jay,

Thank you for the details and I’m happy that you found the resolution.

The Business Value indeed is set only to Story and Epic, but it’s possible to change this to show to other issue types according to our documentation.

This field is of type 'Number Field' and is available to issue types 'Story' and 'Epic'. (If you want to make it available to other issue types, edit the custom field context.)

Regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Dave Eyler January 3, 2020

I'm also having this issue

Is this a classic or a next-gen project? Classic, with New Jira Issue View enabled
What is the type of the project (Software, Business, Service Desk)? Software
What is the type of the custom field? Select List (there are 2 and they both do the same thing)
Are you the only user facing this issue? No
Would it be possible testing using incognito mode or other browsers? Yes; I tried it in Chrome's incognito - the fields appear while the issue is loading in the right panel for a moment and then disappear

If it's a classic one, please go to Project settings > Issue layout > Edit layout and check if the field shows correctly. - I did this, it is showing correctly there

I fixed this by adding it to the Edit Issue operation as well as the View Issue operation.  I guess Edit loads by itself after view?  not sure

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2020

Thank you for sharing, Dave.

The new issue view has all "view" and "edit" on the same page, different from the old view where we needed to click on "Edit" to edit some custom fields.

As it's a classic project, it's necessary to add the fields to the necessary screens, such as view, edit, resolved and so on.

Suggest an answer