multiple sites or one site?

Edgardo Safranchik September 10, 2019

We are thinking how to use Jira Cloud for two areas (maybe three) within one organization. One area has 4 teams and the other something like 15. 

What are the pros and cons of having just one site, or two sites?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2019

I'm not sure what you mean by "site". If you mean whether to have one or two Jira instances then rarely would i recommend having more than one. If you mean projects within a Jira instance then it depends on a number of things. I would need to understand you scenario better to be able to offer guidance.

Hi Jack, I'm trying to follow Atlassian documentation about "organizations" and "sites": https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/atlassian-organizations-964957873.html

It's clear for me that I'll need one organization only. But I'm not sure about the advantage of using one site for each department ...

Like Iva Kvakic likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2019

Thanks for the link. Interesting and useful article I think. IMO, having a single instance (site) where all your users access one or more of the Atlassian product is the way to go. Bottom line:

• it helps to control costs - where users might have to be replicated in both sites, addons for both sites, etc.
  • saves on administrative effort/complexity
  • improves accessibility in cases where a user might have to access different instances to do their work
Like # people like this

Hi Jack,

I understand your points, still I'm not sure about pros and cons. This is important when I have to plan my budget and administration overhead. The scenario I have is the following one:

• Just 1 organization, no doubt. I think it could be useful Access, because of the Active Directory integration for users provisioning and security policies. The user provisioning is unique for the whole organization.
  • 2 (maybe 3) departments using Jira + Confluence + Bitbucket
  • Each departments don’t share information, and has its own teams/projects/workflows/administration.
  • Each department could have different addons. 
  • The organization will pay for the whole installation to Atlassian but, internally, each department has to assing its own budget for its users, products and addons. The internal budget assingment is important for us.

So, do you think it's better just one instance, yet?

Thanks

Like AirTrumpet_Solutions likes this
lay_c August 14, 2020

Hi Edgardo

I know your post has been a while in this thread but wondered if you have any resolution on this. I'm in a similar situation where 1 organization can have more than 1 site. The user may use different login with G Suite account to associate to the site, for example, jane.d@abc.com login to myorg.atlassian.net or jane.d@xyz.com to myorg.atlassian.net

I would be appreciated if you/anyone could help here.

Thanks

Giovani Spagnolo September 29, 2021

"

• Each department could have different addons. "

I don't think you can do that using a  common instance for all departments. Once you get an add-on it is tied to all users, and you'd pay accordingly.

Suggest an answer