@mentioning assignee

Sandor Krisztian Andre May 22, 2017

I'd like to bulk comment abuch of issues and mention the assignee in the comment I've read that "Hello [~$assignee]"  would work, but it doesn't ni JIRA 7.0.11. Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

3 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

Hi Sandor,

You can use the syntax "@username" or "@display name" (without the quotes) which will automatically translate to "[~username]" (without the quotes.)  This works for any active user.

I have version 7.1.1 and I notice JIRA sometimes has trouble finding a user.  I find that hitting the "tab" key sometimes helps trigger the search for the list of potential names. 

Additionally, there's a bug here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-45836 that points to a problem in a number of versions.  A fix (and a rewrite of the "@ mention" function) is included in version 7.1.8.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

Matt Chana January 23, 2018

Hi Rachael, when I am attempting to do what Sandor mentioned in his initial question, with you solution, Jira automatically fills in my user name. It does not automatically translate to "[~username]. Also, when I try to type [~username] manually and submit the comment via bulk change it doesn't work as expected.

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

Hi @Matt Chana - what version of Jira do you have?

In newer versions of Jira (I have 7.5.2, for example), the format of the @mention function has changed.  It no longer shows the tagged person as "[~username]" (without the quotes.)  These days, it displays "First Last" (in "Visual" mode) and the name is linked to the user's Jira profile. 

This also may have something to do with the new visual editor as well.  No more needing to use the "Preview" feature to see your formatted comments and descriptions. You have the option to either use Visual mode (what you see is what you get) or Text mode (wiki markdown). Look for two new tabs at the bottom of any rich text-enabled field.

Anyway, the whole @mention function has been improved and I don't see any of the bugs I noticed back in version 7.1.1.   Here's what Atlassian has said about it:

"Smart mentions bring the people already involved in your conversation to the top of your list when you hit "@"."  The algorithm looks for issue participants first, instead of alphabetically through our list of thousands of users."

"We've made the search more intelligent so that when you search for users, your search term no longer needs to match exactly.  Searching for "Steve Smith" would return "Steve Smith", "Steven Smithers" and "Steven Smith".  There's also better matching for dashes and hyphenated names.

Matt Chana January 24, 2018

Thanks Rachael, we are using Jira Cloud. Unfortunately the way you describe it confirms that Jira cannot achieve what I'm hoping it could (what Sandor asked in his original question).

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

Hi again @Matt Chana and @Sandor Krisztian Andre. I don't know of a way to "mention dynamically in bulk" but I thought of some other ideas.

If you're just trying to get someone's attention, you could add the assignee to a standard notification event, like an issue update, or create a new custom event, and they'd get an email when that action occurred. 

Also, sometimes I just want people to update a stale list of issues.  In that case, I send a simple email with a link to filter, that uses "assignee = currentUser()".  Then I ask users to update "their" issues.

I'm not sure what your use case is, but maybe this gives you a different approach to try?

Good luck!

Rachel Wright

Matt Chana January 29, 2018

Thank for the suggestions @Rachel Wright. I see how it works. But it would be really useful to a lot of people, I imagine, if you could write @assignee and have that auto-fill on each ticket with that ticket's assignee. I hope this can be implemented sometime soon. 

Like # people like this
Ambati Murali Krishna September 14, 2018

@Rachel WrightIn our organization we are using two JIRA environments and both are same version  Jira v7.11.2

Here My observation is like below:

one server tag user like - murali

second server tag user like - [~murali]

Why it is different? Can you please explain on this?

David Yoshida November 16, 2018

Same thing with us.  There seems to be 2 different @ mentions styles used in 2 different projects on our Jira Cloud.

Wojciech Gajewski January 16, 2019

It's connected to the new/old Jira views, depends on which one you are using. 

Also, i think that next gen projects are automatically set on using the 'first last' view.

Suggest an answer