maxResults not working in REST API

I set maxResults=1000 in myrequest:

requests.get('' % (jql, start_issue), auth=('user', 'password'))

but it always returns 50 issues no matter what I set it to. Any ideas why it's not working? When I do a search in the Jira gui when you start typing a keyword a popup appears with suggestions based on what you typed so far but nothing ever shows up for maxResults. does that mean that keyword is not available in my Jira instance?

1 answer

The maximum allowable value is dictated by the JIRA property ''. If you specify a value that is higher than this number, your search results will be truncated.

This can be set in the '' file.

My Jira admin told me he set = -1 too "get rid of search limit according to documentation". I don't see that anywhere in docs. Is that a legit value to set it to?

Hi rich,


Did setting to -1 worked?



Sarath S

HI, is it same for vba coding by just adding -1 then it will exceed the limit?

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,092 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot