making a field visible based on some condition

I have a JIRA screen configuration which is shared with multiple JIRA projects. One one project, I want to show a new custom field but it should not appear on rest of the project. I try to avoid creating another screen configuration. Is there a way to make a field visible only to this particular project, or another best practice to handle such situation?

3 answers

You can have different issue types, and only allow the field to associate with certain issue types by using field configurations. That is the easiest way to do this that comes to mind.

0 vote

It depends on your *exact* requirements, but if your need is what I think you've said, you've got three options.

I think you have a custom field that should only appear in project X, although you've got projects X, Y and Z. This is exactly what the schemes are for, and you can choose between:

1. Having a separate set of screens for project X
  2. Having a separate "field configuration" for project X (in there, you can show or hide different sets of fields.
  3. In the custom field context, you can say "only project X" instead of "global"

On points 2 and 3, the important point is that you still put the field on screens. For a field to appear within a project, it has to match ALL three criteria.

The best practice is a little difficult to define, there's several factors in which methods will work best for you and your users.

Without creating separate field configuration or screen scheme, this can be achieved simply by using Custome Field Contexts.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

35 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you