mac OS "sudo /usr/sbin/useradd" command not found

Дима Корно March 20, 2019

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/installing-jira-on-mac-os-x-191501161.html?_ga=2.224442399.425807493.1553092568-1662067970.1553005446

In this documentation on installing Jira on mac OS (need for studies) there is a point where I need to execute "sudo /usr/sbin/useradd", but my command line responds that there is no such operation

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2019

Hello,

Thank you for the details, and pointing this out, there are some updates needed in that doc that I'll get to work on. 

Looking at the document it is an older Archived version of the documentation pages, from jira 6.4 and older.  Noting there are also links in the Article to the Archive downloads for jira in step 1, and instructions on installing a WAR version at step 2 of the application which are either EOL or fully Deprecated installation options.  So if your trying to do your tests on a current version of jira make sure to use the appropriate install package for the desired Jira version from here:

A majority of the links on that page do look to be redirecting to the more current versions of the documentation,  and step 2 looks correct other than the WAR installation options, as WAR versions would only be applicable for performing testing for upgrades off a legacy versions to a more current version.

Step 3 however, I am not sure if older Mac OS versions had the add user command by default but current versions defiantly do not have that command, and it's a Linux based system command, and I'm not sure why the document has windows installation instructions as well for a how to install on MAC document (I'll make sure to get that section updated shortly).

So looking at section 3 for creating the dedicated user accounts that info is all wrong for current MAC OS versions.

I found the following Example on serverfault on how to do this in Mac:

Once created starting and stoping the instance can be done as normal covered in more details here

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer