limit administrator access

Christopher An April 7, 2015

Can I limit what the users with the System Permissions of JIRA Administrator (not JIRA System Administrator) can see?

I'm trying to keep 2 projects separate from eachother.

Project A has a A Users and a A Administrators group with unique users assigned to them. Users in A Administrators also belong to A Users.

Likewise, Project B has a B Users and a B Administrators group with unique users assigned to them. Users in B Administrators also belong to B Users.

I've locked down each project so when logging in each user can only view and administer their own projects.  However, when admin users go to the admin menu, everything within JIRA is editable and viewable.  What I mean is, users in the A Administrators group can view and edit any project in JIRA, not just Project A.  Likewise for users in the B Administrators group.

The goal is to prevent users in each administrator group (A Administrators and B Administrators)  to view/edit other's projects when they navigate to Projects under the Administrator's menu but also retain the access required to create and associate issues, workflows, fields, screens, schemes, etc.. 

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

No.  An admin is an admin.  They have System or JIRA level rights and that's it.

You should have project admins separated out for project A and project B, and then a small team of JIRA administrators to handle the global configuration

Mike O_Keefe February 22, 2021

I believe this is a failure in the design of JIRA, so that it does not scale up in large organisations.  I am reaching the point in my organisation where I need to find another solution besides JIRA.

The problem is that we have a central tools team which is under resourced by management, and we have a tool (JIRA) which does not provide local configuration permissions.  I suggest that permissions for screen creation, and all schemes management should be deferred to a local admin role, rather than system admin.

Otherwise, JIRA just does not work for large organisations.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

It's the opposite actually, Jira absolutely works for large organisations because it has an admin scheme that encourages a central team to have control.

I've spent most of my career with Jira starting jobs with "we let too many people have admin access so they could create their own screens and schemes and we need you to clean up the mess they've made".  Jira scales well because you can stop that happening by not allowing people to to their own local configurations.

Thanks Nic 

I completely agree with you, if the management team recognises the need to fund a central tools team.  However, if the management team thinks like "JIRA is deployed, so jobs done, so downsize the central tools team", then your model breaks down.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

If your management team thinks like that about the tools in use at the company, then their model of management has broken down too!

Perhaps you're right Nic, but we need tools that are "agile" enough to work with all kinds of company management models.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

I'm not sure getting tools that suit a failed management model is a good idea!

Hi Nic

You may disagree with such company model, but not all companies support a centralised tools group.  With such companies, the centralised controls put in place with the current JIRA model do not allow the full benefits of JIRA to be used.  This is just an observation of fact.

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2015

Vote and Watch this issue, this is what we all want and what you are referring to:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3156

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2015

Hey Chris,

You may be able to achieve a similar functionality if you limit access of projects the same way you can limit the JIRA administration with this documentation.

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer