jira workflow resolution Validator trastion

Jiannan Tang February 17, 2013

Hi:

How to add the resolution value validator to transtion.

eg:

If the issue A had been resolved by fixed.

And the issue B had been resolved by Duplicate.

Then the issue A only can be transtion to status verify,

and the issue B only can be transtion to status close.

Could somebody help me?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2013

You'll probably need to do some coding for this.

Jira has a structure that supports "plugins" to provide new features. In fact, most of the existing validators are plugins already (included in a standard distribution)

Some thoughts though

• You probably don't want a "validator", this sounds like a "condition" to me. In the workflow, you'd create trnasitions to verify and close, and then put the conditions on them. A transition is only offered to the users if the issue passes the conditions. So your conditions would say "only show verify if resolution is fixed" and "only allow close if resolution is duplicate". A validator kicks in after the user tries a transition, and it could be quite annoying to see "you cannot do this because you've set the resolution incorrectly"
  • I've not seen a condition or validator in the marketplace that would do this
  • If you do want to do this, I'd be very tempted to use the "script runner" plugin to do it - you still need some code, but it means you can code in-place, not have to write all the stuff that goes around writing a plugin
  • Could you do this the other way around? Have a transition going into "closed" that is called something like "this is a duplicate issue" and on that transition, you can use a post-function (off-the-shelf) that sets the resolution to duplicated?
Jiannan Tang February 17, 2013

Hi Nic, Thanks your resolutions.

I think the script runner is a good idear.

Suggest an answer