jira - watcher like field functionality for specified team members only.

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to create a jira field that has the following functionality like the watcher field.

Overview

• Using the jira fields to create a list of team members handling one issue for customers or none participants to be able to contact someone listed in that list

Functionality

• Ability to add specified users to this field where it search the available users and adds it to the field. Similar functionality as the watchers field functionality.
  • Notification is a perk but not necessary.

Why not use just watchers field

• The people in the watchers list can be a mix of interested party and team member that is handling this issue.  I want a distinct field just for team members that are handling an issue. So if one person isn't available they can go to the another person of the team member.

Has anyone done this or knows the best way to do this?

thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

Hi @Gavin ,

I would create custom field with type "User Picker (multiple users)".

Do you need some sort of automation like you want to set this field based on some conditions?

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2021

Great! thanks for the direction is this the document? That provides that? https://confluence.snapbytes.com/enhancer-plugin/custom-fields/user-group-custom-fields/filterable-multi-user-picker-custom-field.

Would you happen to have an atlassian reference so that I can look over?

The automation that you describe I'm well versed in but what I'd like ideally is to have a field where I can add multiple users in regards to who are the teams leads.  

I think a quick search yielded this.  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-create-a-multi-user-custom-field/qaq-p/74372

Do you have any other documentation recommendations?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2021

Hi @Gavin ,

the first document is connected to paid application Enhancer Plugin for JIRA.

What I have in mind is OOB custom field - it should be possible to add this type of custom field without any additional app.

The second document is better and you should be able to create the custom field using the first response. Also you can configure User Filtering in this type of custom field, which means that only some users will be available in the custom field.

Unfortunately I didn´t find better documentation.

Can you please tell me more about the teams leads? Do more teams work on one project, or each team has it's own project? How do you determine, which team(s) work on the issue? Thank you.

For this kind of automation we will need some sort of additional app. Do you have some automation app in your instance like Automation for Jira, ScriptRunner etc?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer