jira v8 database schema

bernard scaringella March 1, 2021

Hi there,

anyone knows where is the v8 database schema in the tons of docs ?

many thanks for help

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

First hit from most search engines is https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/database-schema/ which gives you the database scheme for 6 and 7.  8 is not documented yet, and probably never will be, as Server is going away.  The scheme given for 7 is almost entirely valid for 8 though, the changes from 7 to 8 are trivial.

Of course, this also begs the question of why you want it - using SQL to read a Jira database is the worst possible way of accessing the data, it's simply not designed to be reported off.  One simple example - "show me an issue" - it's a single REST call that will give you all the issue data in one JSON response.  Or, for an issue with no custom fields, history or comments, only 18 joins in your SQL (obviously a lot more if you want the custom fields, history or comments, and you'll have to write more code if you want to see any of the calculated stuff)

bernard scaringella March 1, 2021

Dear Nic,

many thanks for your answer, and you nailed it, searching for the best way to extract data for custom reporting. I know i have to explore the rest api too.

Best regards
Bernard

Suggest an answer