jira - project automation - add comment if issue is updated and due date has passed when updated

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2023

I'm having a struggle in doing the following:

Goal:

If an issue is just updated and is not resolve and closed and due date is in the past add a comment.

Issue:

• I have this kinda working but only triggers if the due date is changed
    • but I'd like it to trigger whenever the issue is updated and it meets the overdue criteria
  • It shows in the audit log that the rule didn't run
  • what am I doing wrong??

JQL

• status != closed and status != Resolved and due < startOfDay() and due is not EMPTY

Also,

• I have "Prevent duplicates by only adding this comment once to a particular issue." disabled.

Here's a snapshot of the automation.

issue.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hi Gavin,

What did you change that should have updated the issue? And what that change done directly to the issue? Or was it a change to the issue as the result of another rule running that updated the issue? 

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2023

Thanks for the response. 

What did you change that should have updated the issue?

> I added a comment

And what that change done directly to the issue?

> yes

Or was it a change to the issue as the result of another rule running that updated the issue? 

> no

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

So, that tells me that adding a comment to an issue does amount to "updating" it in Jira's eyes. You would need a second rule that handles those - you should be able to simply copy your existing rule and change the Trigger to Comment added instead of Issue Updated. 

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2023

So does that mean that comment added isn't an issue update?  If so why does the "updated" field show the last comment that was add time time stamp?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2023

I suspect the automation rule is triggering on something else and not the Updated date itself then. But I can't answer that or tell you what constitutes an issue being "updated". I  can just a solution based on the observances you describe. 

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2023

yeah that did work! just a little confusing what is constituted as an update.  Guess there is a distinction between comment and issue update.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2023

Yeah, to me adding a comment should constitute an update as well. But glad that worked for you!

Suggest an answer