jira.permission.edit vs jira.issue.editable properties Edited

What is difference between jira.permission.edit and jira.issue.editable workflow properties?

Are there any difference for jira issue where set one or another of these properties?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jan 18, 2018

Hi Alexey,

jira.issue.editable= true/false means, that the issue is editable

jira.permission.edit.group= <any jira group> means, that only users belonging to this group are able to edit the issue

Hi Thomas, thank you for your reply.

I need to restrict jira issue edit mode and I tried the following values:

1) Property: jira.permission.edit.denied

Key: denied

2) Property: jira.issue.editable

Key: false

So as I can see in 1st variant there is available "Attach files" option. In 2nd variant "Attach files" option is unavailable.

Are there any other differences in these cases?

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jan 19, 2018

I would always use "jira.issue.editable" if you want to prohibit editing issues completely in a certain workflow state. Before you mentioned it, I didn't even knew the property "jira.permission.edit.denied".  So, no, I don't know the differences between them. 

If you want to restrict editing to a group. e.g. administrators, I would use "jira.permission.edit.group".

Hello Thomas,

I am also trying to set my workflow with jira.permission...

Only a certain group should have permission to edit a workflow from a specific status onwards. Before that status everyone can work on the issue.

I tried all of your suggestions but none has worked for me.

Any idea what could be the problem? 

Thanks and best regards

This widget could not be displayed.
Joe Pitt Community Champion May 02, 2018

You keep saying 'edit a workflow'. Do you really mean edit an issue AFTER a point in the workflow?

Hello @Joe Pitt,

yes exactly.

Check this Workflow for example. It should give the permission only to Controlling Group from the transition "To Controlling"Workflow.png

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

169 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you