jira oauth

soumya ramesh July 30, 2015

My client application needs to make authenticated requests and retrieve data from any JIRA instance. From the JIRA OAuth example, the client needs to configure the values for request token URL, access token URL and authorization URL and these values are dependent on the BASE URL. My client application only allows a constant value for these fields. I want to confirm if the BASE URL is always different for each company/business that uses JIRA?

Also, what configuration changes should the company admin who has a JIRA account that wants to allow access from my application have to make?

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2015

They can overlap if they are on two separate private networks. If they are publicly accessible via the internet, the standard DNS system should prevent them from being accessed at the same URL. However, even in the public scenario, two systems can be misconfigured and still use the same base url. Though I have never seen a collision before. The admin will need to make no changes.

soumya ramesh July 31, 2015

If my OAuth request token url, access token url and authorization url are associated with a baseURL, does that mean that I am only authorized to access information from that Jira instance through rest API calls? How can I register an app that can use OAuth to make rest API calls to any JIRA instance? The documentation states that I must create an application link. But this allows me to link my Jira instance to an external app and not vice-versa

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2015

Yes you must OAuth individually to every single individual JIRA instance. There is no way to get OAuth credentials to all JIRA instances.

Suggest an answer