jira field configurations linked

Sebastiaan Leeflang November 28, 2019

hi, 

i created a new field configuration to adjust it so a project has a different field configuration instead of the default we use, 

but when i change the new field configuration, the default one gets changed as wel??

how am i suppose to create a scheme to allow a project to not use default field configurations ?

so for instance if the default has a field application, and i create a new field configuration it copies the default values somehow? but i dont want application so i remove all the screens attached to application on the new scheme but the default also coppies those values?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Hi @Sebastiaan Leeflang

The new scheme when first created might have similar options to the default one - especially if you created a copy but you can then modify it to suit your needs.

Your example though mentions removing a field from a screen for one project - this wouldn't be via a field configuration scheme - moreover, you'd need new screens / screen schemes / issue type screen schemes for that project with that field removed.

Could you provide a list of what you're trying to achieve and we can suggest the best solutions for each?

Ste

Deleted user December 2, 2019

Hi Stephen Wright,

what i am trying to achieve is the following:

after creating a new fieldt configuration, i am able to change the new configuration fields but this still translated to the default configuration being changed

i currently have 41 projects with the same field configuration(DEFAULT). now we want a new jira cloud project which has certain fields required on creating a issue,

so i created a new project, with a new screen configuration, but when i create a new configuration it got all the default fields. now it seems strange to me that when you create a new configuration it is linked with the default(in terms of screens and such)

see default:default.png

see new:

fieldconfig.png

what i now wish to do is edit new screenconfiguration by making application for example, required but if i edit new screenconfiguration, the default gets edited as well ?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Hi @Sebastiaan Leeflang

A few things to answer here.

Every Field Configuration Scheme lists all available fields (whether on a Screen or not) and what Screens utilise these fields. The different field configuration is based on which projects the Config Scheme is applied to.

To apply a new Field Configuration to one project:

1. In Jira Admin Settings > Issues, go to Field Configurations
  2. Create a new field configuration either by pressing Add in the upper-right or copying an existing configuration using Copy.
  3. Make the necessary changes to this field configuration
  4. Next, select the option Field Configuration Scheme from the left-hand menu
  5. Press "Add Field Configuration Scheme" in the top-right and create it
  6. Press Edit next to your new scheme
  7. Change the Field Configuration in use on this scheme
  8. You can add more field configurations per issue type using the relevant button in the upper-right corner if you need to
  9. Now go to your Project's Settings and select Fields from the left-hand menu
  10. Select Actions in the top-right and choose Use a Different Scheme
  11. Change to your newly create Field Config Scheme

^ Make sure you've followed these steps otherwise your new Field Config Scheme will still be using the Field Config (a separate entity) which is default.

Let us know if this doesn't resolve the issue.

Ste

Deleted user December 4, 2019

Hi Stephen,

I'm an colleque of Sebastiaan, and i'm now taking this over from him.

I did the things above, but the results are the same. When making an new Field Configuration, the fields are already filled in and when trying to change "schermen", the change is also processed in the other Field Configuration, Default Field Configuration.

Greetings Ronit

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

Following the instructions above did you get a new config scheme / config (two separate items)?

You mention changing the screen here also - what did you change on the screen?

Ste

Deleted user December 8, 2019

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

Yeah, I did get an new config scheme / config.

Example:

I have an Default Scheme, and I have an newly created scheme(as done per instruction above). The newly created scheme has already been filled with the information of the Default Scheme, like it's linked somehow.

When making changes to this scheme, the schemes are also changed in the Default, like linking or un-linking an screen. See also the screenshot.

As you can see, 1 of the configurations is linked to an scheme. But when making an change in "Veldconfiguratie Project Ronit #2, these changes are also done in "Veldconfiguratie Project Ronit".

I hope this will help things to clarify.

Ronit

Deleted user December 8, 2019

Jira issue #2.PNG

Suggest an answer