jira doesn't create issues via email

Irina Solarcuka September 1, 2013

Hi,

I've got the problem with jira 5.1. Very often it doesn't create issues via email.

The following errors are in the log file:

2013-08-28 10:13:36,494 QuartzWorker-1 WARN ServiceRunner PBKAN Activity [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] PBKAN Activity[10120]: Sender is anonymous, no default reporter specified and creating users is set to false (or external user management is enabled). Message rejected.
2013-08-28 10:13:36,494 QuartzWorker-1 INFO ServiceRunner PBKAN Activity [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] The message has been rejected: Sender is anonymous, no default reporter specified and creating users is set to false (or external user management is enabled). Message rejected.

Best regards,

Irina

2 answers

0 votes
Kalyani Khandelwal September 1, 2013

Your Create and Comment handler is not configured properly. I think you need to set the property of create a new user if the sender is not present in JIRA-user's list, when you configure the mail handler. You can find details about configuring this parameter in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email.

Irina Solarcuka September 1, 2013

Thank Kalyani, but the problem occurs only sometimes and with the same users. All these users have jira accounts and must to be identified by jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2013

"sender is anonymous" means that Jira is unable to work out which Jira account to use from the email (it's looking at the "from" part of the email from memory).

You need to check what email address is coming in and make sure it matches the email Jira has stored for the user.

The last time I ran into this, it was because I was sending emails from home instead of work. The emails were similar, but obviously Jira only had the work one.

Kalyani Khandelwal September 1, 2013

Irina,

I also facing some problem smiliar to yours while customzing my mail handler.

There is user-name and associated email-id. And my handler was checking users based on email id and even if same user sent the request from a different email ID it was ignored as I didnot have a JIRA account for that Email id. So As Nic has pointed out I might be a case with email id used.

:)

Irina Solarcuka September 3, 2013

Kalyani,

The problem is somewhere else because it occures also when the same user sends 3 email to jira from the same email address and jira creates only one issue.

Is it possible that jira's email handler is case-sensitive? I've verified and compared user email adresses in Outlook and Jira. Somwhere in Jira email addresses are written in lower case but in Outlook they are always in following format: Name.Surname@xxxxx.xx

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2013

No, it's not case-sensitive.

I think you need to look into the "sends 3 emails, only creates 1 issue" as that could be very telling - can you tell what the differences between the emails are?

Also, which handler are you using?

Nic,

These emails are absolutely different. We have configured the handler so that it creates a new issues or comments an existing issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2013

So what are the differences?

Which handler are you using? Most of them do "create or comment", but you haven't told us which handler you are using or how it is configured.

The mails contents are different - subjects, CC and contents.

I'm new in JIRA therefore haven't understood your question about handler. Do you mean a protocol ? It is POP. The configuration parameters are: project=PBKAN,issuetype=44,createusers=false,notifyusers=true,ccwatcher=false,ccassignee=true,stripquotes=false

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2013

Ok. For incoming email to work, you have to read an email box - that's the POP side of it.

Once you've got an email though, you have to use some code to handle it, that's the "handler". There are several distributed with Jira and some available as addons too. The docs are at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email and you can jump to "Step two: Configure a handler" to read more.

You have given us the parameters for the handler, but we still need to know which one is in use. The parameters look ok for most of the handlers, in my opinion, but I've got a feeling the "createusers=false" might be blocking emails from creating issues when they arrive from different email addresses. Note that I keep asking about the handler because I've used handlers that deliberately drop email completely in some cases, and we need to know that.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2013

Suggest an answer