jira-config.properties vs jira-application.properties

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2014

I see two articles detailing how to edit advanced properties in JIRA. Which is accurate, or are both still valid options? Which is preferred?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+JIRA+Configuration

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA042/Advanced+JIRA+configuration+with+jira-application.properties

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2014

Hi there,

The document https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA042/Advanced+JIRA+configuration+with+jira-application.properties refers to JIRA 4.2, which is not supported anymore.

You should stick to using the jira-config.properties file, as recommended in the documentation for the current version:

I hope the information above helps.

Cheers,

Danilo

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2014

Thanks for clarifying it. I thought this was the case, but I noticed that the jira-application.properties file still exists in the program directory (JIRA 6.1.3) to set the home location.

Perhaps the documents could be updated to make it clear which version the configuration file applies to?

Vick Khera October 6, 2020

If you are not to use the jira-application.properties file, how does one tell jira what its  home directory is so that it can find the jira-config.properties file?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2020

Have another look at the docs, they've been clear on it for most of the years passed since this question was asked.

Martin Hilbig December 14, 2020

For what its worth, Jira 8.x itself still refers to jira-application.properties in its list of things to check/adjust when you click on "plan your upgrade", despite the file not being present in the directory - thats the case on multiple customer instances, which regularly sparks google searches for this file anew.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

But the file might be present if someone has added it.  The docs I've seen do mention that.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2014

Depends on your version of Jira. The first is for "latest", and valid for quite a few versions back. The 042 one is for older versions around 4.2

Suggest an answer