jira cloud backup

Rajasekhar September 5, 2019

Hi Team,

I have downloaded backup file from the "create backup for cloud" which is under Import and export > Backup manager> backup for cloud.

After that, when i view the xml files with xmleditors, I have noticed there are lot of jira issues and data missed. I don't know how it works when I want to recover the data to jiracloud from the backup (activeobjects.xml and entity.xml) files.

I gone through the entire information from the below link but still not able to perform the restore my deleted ticket.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-Cloud-Backup/qaq-p/1158717

Can you please any one please help me to proceed further or do i need to contact atlassian support ?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2019

Hello @Rajasekhar

Thank you for reaching out.

By default, the XML backup utility exports all your JIRA information, including all the current issues and data of your instance as described here.

That being said, I would like to know the following information to further troubleshoot your issue:

1 - Are you exporting the XML file from a server or a cloud instance?

2 - Have you tried to export the file to a test Cloud instance and check if there is any information missing? Or you just saw it in the XML file directly?

3 - If you are migrating from a Server application, there are some steps that you must follow before you start the migration, as described in this documentation. Can you check if you have followed those steps?

4 - For migration between Cloud instances, you can check this documentation.

5 - Is Confluence also added in the XML file or is it just JIRA application?

6 - How long ago you exported your file from your instance? Are you sure that it is still missing data that was present in your instance at the moment you exported the file?

Let me know your results as soon as you have the chance to test it.

Rajasekhar September 9, 2019

Hello @Petter Gonçalves ,

Thank you for the reply. Please find my answers for the above questions

1. I am exporting the XML file from a cloud instance.

2. I haven't tried to export the file to a test Cloud instance, I am not aware of that how to get the test instance and test it!! can you please send me the process document how to do it?

I've just checked the XML file with one of xmlviewer and let you know my  observations.

3. I am not migrating any data from server application, we are using only cloud services.

4. I am not migrating any data between cloud instances, I am just trying to validate the XML file where I can restore the services if something goes wrong. May be you can advice me how to do this databackup validation from XML file in JIRA cloud services.

5. I checked there is an XML file(entities.xml) present in atlassian export file named "site_backup.zip "

6. Normally, I export the JIRA_export.zip(XML) on every Friday of the week. That is my one of process regulations.

Please guide me how can i proceed further to move forward.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2019

Hello Rakasekhar,

1 - You can sign-up for a test environment of JIRA Cloud in this link.

2 - Once your test environment is ready, navigate to JIRA Settings > System > Restore System > Upload your XML backup file and follow the steps in the client to properly import your data.

Let us know your results as soon as you perform it.

Rajasekhar September 11, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

I have done the same as you mentioned in the above, But still a few projects data missed. I couldn't restore completely for all the projects. 

This is my instance : https://ravula.atlassian.net/

I am not sure  what to do further.

Suggest an answer