jira-administrators' members receive all notifications, is it normal ?

Jerome Martin November 12, 2012

Hello,

My question is about notification. Is it normal which jira-administrator's members receive all notifications ?

Thanks by advance.

Jérôme

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2012

Ok, so you need details.

Pick an event that you do not expect to get a notification for, but do. Like create or edit - reason is we don't want to debug all of them in one go, they could be different. Picking on just one event is likely to hit a common cause while beaing easier to debug than the whole lot.

Go to the project admin screen. Look for the notification scheme. Quite often, people have posted here "I am/am not getting email" and it's turned out that while they're looking at the right notification scheme, they haven't actually checked that it's the one that is associated with the project. We need to be 100% certain you're looking at the right scheme. So check the project very carefully

Descend into the scheme and list out everything that gets mailed by your chosen event.

I am 99.9% certain that you will find that the administrators are somehow named in there.

Jerome Martin November 18, 2012

Ok you are right it was our event. Someone has modified this event without prevent me. I was sure it was ok.

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2012

Ah, we were so close to "I'm stumped, raise a support call" :-)

Well done on finding it!

0 votes
Jerome Martin November 17, 2012

hello

@andy : No ... issues are not created with admin users.

@ nic : There isn't watchers and reporter and assignee are not admin.

For example, i am admin and i am notified for all events. If i remove myaccount from jira-administrator group. I receive notification but only if it's my issue or if i'm watcher (normal behaviour) etc.

i search again.

Thanks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2012

No, admin means "can administrate system". You can use it in notification schemes, but it's not there in any defaults, and I avoid using admin groups for anything other than admin.

One of your admins has nominated the group in a notification scheme. Look in there, and remove it as appropriate.

we have only 3 users with admin rights. And their profile is not affected in a notification scheme (we have only 2 scheme)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2012

Then they are getting the notifications for some other reason. What other groups are they in? What else does the notification scheme say? Check if the notification scheme uses "roles" and that if it does, the projects don't use "jira admins" in the roles the notification scheme names.

in notifications scheme we have a very commun setup. in notifications column we have "current assignee", "all watchers", and "reporter"... there is only one specific parameter on a generic event for one specific user (he receive notification for a specific event in the workflow ) and that's all.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2012

Yup, that's the next step - look at the issues to see why you might be being notified about them. Check the watcher, reporter and assignee field carefully. Inbound email-created issues will generally land with a reporter as an admin as Andy says.

I'd also check for dummy accounts and mailing lists - do you have a distribution list for your jira admins? Could someone have set a user's email to send to that list?

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2012

do you have any inbound mail handlers, any issues getting created 'as' admin users?

Suggest an answer