jira Issue list without browse permission?

Pieter Claeys August 20, 2014

Hello,

I'm was wondering if (and if so, how) jira can be used / configured to work as a support box where 1. users can create issues
2. users can view their created issues, and the status, and maybe some other fields WITHOUT that they are able to see ALL fields of the issue and browse the complete project.

The obvious reason is that we don't want to expose all fields to a user.
As far as I understand, users can see an entire issue ; and need the browse project permission to be able to run any dashboard filter powered by a jql query.
Also, the confluence 'jira issue list' seems to use the current logged-in user inherently - and gives plain click-through access to the issue details.

Any toughts how to achieve this? (Except for programming a separate website that queries the jira database?)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pieter Claeys August 21, 2014

Hi, thanks for answering.
I already tought about that, indeed, and the reason I was looking for some other solution by posting this question is the following:
My usecase is having about 600 jira-users belonging to about 100 companies which are our customer. Some of them log in a lot, and a big majority less frequently or once a year, or less (but they should have the possibility to log in if required)
There is quite a lot of discussion on the pricing model based on the number of jira-users. In one of those discussion threads, the were answers from Atlassian the "Service Desk" module is intended for internal service desks in companies - and rather not as an 'external' support system.

So, that makes me doubt if this is really the solution I'm looking for.

0 votes
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk - please look into this plugin. It will provide the functionality you want)

Suggest an answer