jira 4.4, supporting remote users accessing via ssh port forwarding, "Activity Stream" gadget URLs not being set correctly

Richard Alanis February 21, 2012

I have an open support issue, JSP-115672, that I have not received a satisfactory resolution on. We are running Jira 4.4.4 on a CentOS 5.4 server and need to support remote users accessing our department by ssh forwording to reach the Jira installation. All URL links in Jira are correctly set to the ssh port forwarded address (localhost:XXXX), except tor those URLs in the "Activitiy Stream" gadget Those still remain tied to the "Base URL" setting. I've been reminded several times that

{quote}
The base URL of this JIRA installation. (warning) You can only configure JIRA to respond to a single URL and this setting must match the URL that your users request for accessing your JIRA site. You cannot (for example) have a different hostname or URL for internal and external users. This is especially important for JIRA 4.0.x or higher, as any mismatch between this Base URL setting and the URL requested by your JIRA users will cause problems with dashboard gadgets. This URL is also used in outgoing email notifications as the prefix for links to JIRA issues.
{quote}

but it seems as though it's just the "Activity Stream" gadget that is stuck with the Base URL settings. As I mention, all other gadgets, and URL links correctly use the port forwarded address.

Is there some way to manually let a user override the "Base URL" setting for just their session?

This is the only issue holding back on our departmental rollout.

1 answer

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2012
Did you already think of a local forwarding proxy on your user's machine? You could let your users use the base url as it is defined in general seetings in Jira and thus avoid the mismatch you described. The local forwarding proxy would just need a rule to foward everything bound for the base url to your local ssh fowarding address (localhost:xxxxx) That should work well and would also let other web applications be used by their "official" URL.

Suggest an answer