javascript inject in custom fields in jira 7

Janik Macholl July 7, 2016

is it still possible to inject javascript in custom field descriptions like in JIRA 6?

This documentation is just for version 6.4 or lower:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/fields-allowing-custom-html-or-javascript-720415974.html

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2016

Yes, you can.

phiet nguyen July 29, 2016

could you please show how ?

put in the description like 6.4 does not get translate out to the final page code ...

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2016

It is the same way as in 6.4. Make sure your field description is updated in the correct field configuration. You can also check by changing the wordings on the description to test.

Also check your javascript to make sure it is correct.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2017

Scriptrunner includes a module called "Behaviors" which allows you to show/hide fields at will. Scriptrunner also lets you define arbitrary web resources, so you could load various JS files in certain contexts. This is only avaliable for JIRA Server.

If you use service desk, you can use Extension for Service Desk to show/hide fields on the Customer Portal.

Atlassian has disabled javascript in JIRA Cloud. It should still work in JIRA Server, but Atlassian has stated that they plan to remove it.

0 votes
Solitonman May 31, 2017

I don't have an answer, I'm writing to find out why this isn't working for me in our internally hosted JIRA 7.3 instance.  I have successfully used JavaScript with custom fields in years past (like JIRA 5-6).  In this case, when I'm adding JS code to the description for a field in the configuration, all that's happening is that the code block is displaying beneath the field name.  This occurs whether I add the block by starting with <script type="text/javascript"> or if I use &lt;script type="text/javascript"&gt;

In either case, I just end up with the script block displaying in the Description area beneath the custom field in the chosen configuration, and no code gets executed.  Any ideas on what might be wrong?  I'd guess something in the system is set up to not render the code as code, but I'm not sure where such a thing might get configured.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2017

Yes - Atlassian are removing the ability to execute arbitrary code such as javascript in descriptions, as they're a security (and sometimes, stability) risk.  It's not configurable.

Like # people like this
Solitonman May 31, 2017

Well...ok then!  :)

I get that they're a security issue, no argument there.  Is there another mechanism to accomplish the same effect?  In my specific case I want to show and hide fields based on the value selected from a custom select list.

Since posting my question I've gone into the system settings and I see that there's a value for "Enable HTML in custom field descriptions and list item values".  In our case it's off, so I was thinking this might be why I'm having my problem.  But it sounds from your response Nic as though this mechanism just doesn't work at all now.

Thanks for the update, I'll try to find another method to accomplish my goal.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2017

That setting will enable html markup, but not scripting.

As far as I can tell, the only javascript you can inject now has to go into the announcement banner.  Or, you can use add-ons to get it in there.

eClerx Orion June 2, 2017

Hello Nic,

We are upgrading Jira 6.3.9 to Jira 7.0.0, but after installation of Jira 7.0.0 there is no Javascript folder available under sources of chorme dubbugger.

As there is no JS folder, We unable to load our customised code of javascript, so we stuck there, and can't move forward.

Does Jira 7.0.0 support direct javascript ? OR we need some alternate way.

Thanks,

Orion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2017

No, as I said earlier, it's being removed. 

You will have to bundle your javascript into an add-on and deploy it properly.

eClerx Orion June 2, 2017

Hello Nic,

Thanks for your quick response.

Can you please suggest any suitable addon to load javascript for Jira 7.0.0

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2017

Best advice - don't.  It's hard to maintain, harder to get right and generally the wrong solution.

If you insist on doing it, then building your own add-on is the only real way to do it.

eClerx Orion June 5, 2017

Hello Nic,

I have created custom plugin for Javascript but unable to load javascript.

We need to call that plugin using some event like onClick, onLoad which loads event for that page only, But we required javascript through out in my application.

So Custom plugin is not working.

Please suggest if you have any other solution.

Thanks,

eClerx Orion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2017

I'm afraid the fix is to get your javascript injected correctly.  Or better, stop using it, as it's probably the wrong solution to whatever you're trying to do with it.

Mikolaj Bialko August 16, 2018

I know it's a bit old thread, but still hot - at least for me. @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - I've got a little lost in what you're saying. I understand that putting javascript in the custom field description is not the right way to do it. But is it a wrong customization method to include javascript in a plugin? Because that is what I get from your last comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

Yes.  Although adding .js via an add-on is a better way to do it that trying to get it into the UI directly, it is often a bad thing to do because it can easily clash with core js and break all sorts of stuff.  If you must do it, have a good read of the aui guidelines and the js docs in the developer guides.

Mikolaj Bialko August 17, 2018

Thank you for clarification! So one more question - what would you recommend for Jira customization? I'm running an instance for 25 users and I try to avoid using multiple 3rd party add-ons, but sometimes to get what I need I have to customize. What would be the right way for that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2018

I'd strongly recommend using add-ons.  You can disable them easily if you have problems and need support (any hacks to the core or injected js render your Jira unsupported), and most are written by experts in Atlassian software.

Isabelle Kürwitz September 11, 2018

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-,

We use the JIRA server 7.5 version.

I'm new to JIRA customizing and have now a task to modifiy an existing multi-select-cf (plug-in). The list consists of a huge number of external values which are periodically updated. The cf is used frequently. So, thousands of values in customfieldvalue table are connected to the cf. Due to the high number of option values in the cf it's quite uncomfortable for my colleagues to use it without auto-completion.

I didn't find a way to add auto-completion until now. Maybe I still don't understand the concepts of JIRA automation enough for now. Although I tried to avoid JS-injection I now was attempted to do so...

...but reading this thread shows me that's not a good idea (as I assumed). So I'd highly appreciate your advice how to add autocompletion to the existing field without JS.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Isabelle Kuerwitz

Chuck Schneider February 26, 2020

As of JIRA server 8.1, the script injection into the description field worked for me.

Like Radek Janata likes this
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2020

Worth noting that in later versions the options is disabled by default, but can be enabled and works. I've tested with 8.11.0

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Why-is-the-javascript-in-Field-Configuration-not-executed/qaq-p/1315509

Like Radek Janata likes this

Suggest an answer