java: not found when installing jira on Ubuntu

garcara September 10, 2013

When trying to run the bin file the following happens:

$ sudo ./atlassian-jira-6.0.8-x64.bin

Unpacking JRE ...

Starting Installer ...

./atlassian-jira-6.0.8-x64.bin: 466: ~/atlassian-jira-6.0.8-x64.bin.9549.dir/jre/bin/java: not found

System info:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013

The installer needs to run some utilities for information about your system. You haven't got them installed.

Try the command "lsb_release" and if it says it's not installed, then try (as root) apt-get install lsb-core

Then try the install again

(sorry, this is just the very first step in the debugging, I actually expect lsb_release to be there and working fine, but if it's not, you can end up going in circles)

If it fails again, then the next problem is who you are. You've run the installer using "sudo", which is a nice idea, but it might not take your paths into account consistently. Try running "sudo bash" and then ./install to make sure it picks up a consistent environment

I installed lsb-core as instructed:

$ lsb_release

LSB Version: core-2.0-ia32:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-ia32:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-ia32:core-4.0-noarch

But, I still get the same error.
Also:
~$ sudo bash
~# ./atlassian-jira-6.0.8-x64.bin
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
./atlassian-jira-6.0.8-x64.bin: 466: ~/atlassian-jira-6.0.8-x64.bin.13715.dir/jre/bin/java: not found
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013

Sorry, I was adding to my answer as you were testing. I've added some stuff about sudo and switching to a root shell rather than just using sudo - could you try that as well?

I added to my comment after I saw your update.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2013

Ah, hang on, lsb_release is showing us a 32 bit install, whereas you've got the 64 bit version of Jira. If I'm right, that won't work, you need to install the 32 bit version.

Thanks so much, it was an oversight on my part, sorry.

Suggest an answer