Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

issues menus gone missing

i just installed a new plug-in and was heading to create a couple of custom fields when i discovered that i no longer have an 'issues' menu option. 

- not in the gear menu

- nor in the horizontal menu bar in 'system'.

from my production jira, i used the gear menu and selected the 'issues' link and copied the url.

i then added secure/admin/ViewIssueTypes.jspa to the base url of my staging server and the correct page loads, so it seems to be a ui related um, issue.

however this is maddening. i can't find any obvious changes to permissions or group membership for my user and searching the web for a similar case has turned up nothing. 

i have been looking all over the interface for some option related to hiding such settings, but am finding nothing. 

does this sound familiar to anyone? halp!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rachel Wright Community Leader Jun 16, 2021

Reposting a synopsis of the answer so @craig zimmerman can mark it as accepted.  :)

Together we found that the label of the "Issues" link in the admin nav menu was transformed to read "Tickets."  The root cause is unknown, and I haven't seen Jira Service Management cause this to happen, but anything is possible.

The workaround it to simply use the "Ticket" selection, which takes the admin user to the expected page listing the issue types.

0 votes
Rachel Wright Community Leader Jun 15, 2021

Hi @craig zimmerman, there are no settings to disable this menu item, so I'm guessing it's either that app you mentioned recently installing or some weird browser-specific behavior.  Can you try disabling the app to see if the menu comes back?  After that, can you try a different browser type and see if there's any change?  Also, it's possible that some browser extension could be interfering.  I've encountered this myself with other (non-Jira) web applications.

Let us know if either of these things are the culprit!

Thanks,
Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Thanks for replying @Rachel Wright it's good to know there are no specific settings to disable the issues menu, i've been going thru settings with a fine tooth comb looking for a 'switch'. I can move on from that at least now!

The first thing i did was to disable the extension, log off and back in to see if that made a change but it did not. As the plug-in is one that we are about to implement in production, i've already got it installed and disabled on that instance as well.

However that system is unaffected, continuing to show 'issues' in both expected places. 

I've just tried viewing in another browser as well as in private mode in my regular browser, as that was a very good suggestion i had not contemplated.

Sadly, the results were identical. 

For what it's worth i'm attaching screenshots showing both menus here.

• the cog wheel.
  • menu on the page linked to system in the cog wheel.

stage-gear.pngstage-system.png

As mentioned, I would expect to see 'issues' in both of these menus.

For now I am going to push forward using the direct link to the page https://my.stage-jira.instance/secure/admin/ViewIssueTypes.jspa and from there will see if in fact if it is purely cosmetic and an irritant or if it is more of a deal-breaker.

Rachel Wright Community Leader Jun 16, 2021

Hey @craig zimmerman - thanks for the screenshot.  That really helps.

I see you have a "Tickets" option in the menu, which is non-standard.  Did you somehow change the wording of "Issues" to "Tickets"?  What happens when you click on that "Tickets" link?

I'm betting that's the trouble.

But let us know (and let us know how that was accomplished, in case anyone else would benefit from that info!)

Thanks,

Rachel Wright

@Rachel Wright omg! that certainly is the case! it leads to the same url as 'issues' should as well: https://my.stage-jira.instance/secure/admin/ViewIssueTypes.jspa. 

glad i included the screenshot as i'd stared at it and not noticed it to be out of the ordinary.

with 100% hindsight i can trace this to a trial install of jira service desk (now management) which has since expired beyond my ability to renew the trial (a different story for a different day).

as your answer was a response, it doesn't provide me the 'accept answer' link, so if you'd like to 'suggest an answer' i'd be happy to mark it as accepted. 

what a relief, i can't thank you enough!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you