is there is a way to link an instance of a workflow with one or more instances of another workflow

John Rooney June 12, 2015

I need to have several workflows available within a single project. What I need to be able to do is associate instances of these workflows. For example, we have incident workflow and issues workflow. A single instance of a incident workflow maybe resolved with several issues workflow instances.

OK. I don't think I have explained myself properly. We want to use to two separate workflows; A ticketing workflow, and an issues workflow. The idea is that many user problems will be handled within the ticketing system, but some tickets will raise one or more issues. This work will be managed in the issue workflows. What I want to do is be able to establish a relationship between these workflows.

3 answers

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2015

If I understood correctly, you'd like your issue to get to a status like In Progress, and while In Progress, have it go through several iterations of a kind of "sub-workflow" because your original issues has... other implications that need to be resolved first?

On top of this not being possible in JIRA, this seems overly complicated. There has to be a better way.

Sounds like a job for subtasks. Or Linked Issues.

0 votes
Graham Meaden June 15, 2015

In an ITIL context one might have problems, incidents and change requests, each may have their own life cycle. Also Incidents may trigger (reporting of) one or more Problems and Problems may be resolved through one or more Change Requests.

Each Issue Type ( Incident, Problem, Change Request ) needs its own workflow scheme.

To enable meaningful linkage as described above, you will have to specify new types of Link in the admin pages.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2015

That doesn't make a lot of sense, what does "link a workflow to another one" mean?

Anyway, you can have many workflows in a project.  The workflow scheme tells JIRA what workflow to use for a given issue type.

John Rooney June 15, 2015

See update comments.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2015

It's more clear, and the first part of it is definitely answered by "use the workflow schemes to define what workflow to use for each issue type", but it still doesn't really answer "the link (or relationship) to another one"? What do you actually want from that?

John Rooney June 15, 2015

Hi, what I need to be able to to is to resolve one or more tickets with an issue. For example, a user reports a minor problem with a ticket (Application doesn't load). We realize this is due to a change in the Chrome NPAPI, this is now an issue, but we want to link the two together.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2015

Well, first, you need to define the relationships in the system (it can't do anything if it doesn't know about the relationships). Jira has several ways to represent relationships, with the most obvious being "is a sub-task of", but the one you probably want to use for most stuff is "issue links" - you can define different types of these (and a number are provided off the shelf), they're directional so they can be made to describe relationships in human terms and properly (a massive weakness in a lot of other issue trackers), and the handling of them is quite logical and sane. Once you've done that, you'll need code to implement your business logic - e.g. "issue X closes, therefore any issues linked to it as 'duplicates of X' should also be closed". It's possible, especially if you have script runner, but there is no generic solution because the rules are completely arbitrary.

Suggest an answer