is there a feature in jira allowing user auto create sub-tasks when creating an issue

Deleted user October 17, 2017

As there is no test management out of box in jira software, I am thinking to use existing issue types plus extra sub-task for test management structure in jira for my team.  If I create a 'story' as test scenario, can I have some sub-tasks created for me automatically ?

5 answers

4 votes
Ethan Foulkes October 18, 2017

Hi Quan,

If you do want to go the customization route you can do this using the Power Scripts add-on.

There is a video tutorial walking you through this exact scenario in detail here.

0 votes
Deleted user October 25, 2017

Thank you all for the replies. Let me do some homework based on your suggestions. Get back to you later.  

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2017

There's a couple of approaches to this.

You can try to mould Jira into doing it, as @Peter DeWitt suggests.  This does need add-ons, and an investment of your time to do it, but is completely flexible, you can set it up any way you want, and build anything you want with the add-ons he mentions.

The other approach is to look for add-ons dedicated to test management.  This is less flexible, as you have to work the way the add-ons are built, but you don't need to do any coding or heavy configuration.   @Cheney Ma [Go2Group] has mentioned one of the good ones, but I would strongly recommend looking in the marketplace for all of them, as you may have different needs.

Deleted user November 1, 2017

Thank you!

0 votes
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2017

@[deleted], JIRA natively is lack of 'Testing' capability like test case management, planning & test reports etc. I would suggest you using a JIRA addon to manage this, like SynapseRT. It can organize your test cases as a TREE (folder) strucure. It also provides end to end traceability between requirement, test case and test result (defect). It also helps user build requirement hierarchy and test case coverage.  

Cheney

Deleted user November 1, 2017

Thank you !

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2017

@[deleted], this is not a feature included within vanilla Jira.  In order to make this happen you will need to use a third-party addon.  Take a look at Scriptrunner, Misc Workflow Extensions, or Bob Swift's Create on Transition.  

You will want to create the Story and then automate subtask creation on the create transition within the workflow.

pd

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events