is there a feature in jira allowing user auto create sub-tasks when creating an issue

As there is no test management out of box in jira software, I am thinking to use existing issue types plus extra sub-task for test management structure in jira for my team.  If I create a 'story' as test scenario, can I have some sub-tasks created for me automatically ?

5 answers

Hi Quan,

If you do want to go the customization route you can do this using the Power Scripts add-on.

There is a video tutorial walking you through this exact scenario in detail here.

0 vote
Peter DeWitt Community Champion Oct 17, 2017

@Quan QA, this is not a feature included within vanilla Jira.  In order to make this happen you will need to use a third-party addon.  Take a look at Scriptrunner, Misc Workflow Extensions, or Bob Swift's Create on Transition.  

You will want to create the Story and then automate subtask creation on the create transition within the workflow.

pd

@Quan QA, JIRA natively is lack of 'Testing' capability like test case management, planning & test reports etc. I would suggest you using a JIRA addon to manage this, like SynapseRT. It can organize your test cases as a TREE (folder) strucure. It also provides end to end traceability between requirement, test case and test result (defect). It also helps user build requirement hierarchy and test case coverage.  

Cheney

0 vote

There's a couple of approaches to this.

You can try to mould Jira into doing it, as @Peter DeWitt suggests.  This does need add-ons, and an investment of your time to do it, but is completely flexible, you can set it up any way you want, and build anything you want with the add-ons he mentions.

The other approach is to look for add-ons dedicated to test management.  This is less flexible, as you have to work the way the add-ons are built, but you don't need to do any coding or heavy configuration.   @Cheney Ma [Go2Group] has mentioned one of the good ones, but I would strongly recommend looking in the marketplace for all of them, as you may have different needs.

Thank you all for the replies. Let me do some homework based on your suggestions. Get back to you later.  

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

688 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you