install jira in Linux issue

Xiuqing Bao March 6, 2012

After I finish installing Jira, I went to the Jira directory, I tried to find the directories called 'bin' and 'home', but I can not find both of them. What I found are 'caches', 'data',' database', 'dbconfig.xml', 'export' etc.

I have tried both the default install and the custom install, both have this issue, please help me.

------------------sovled

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2012

Hi Cathy,

When you install JIRA there are 2 directories that are relevant, the JIRA installation directory and the JIRA home directory which are located in different places on the filesystem. The JIRA home directory is the directory where JIRA keeps it's caches, indexes, et.c and that's the directory you have found. There should be another directory (usually under /opt or /usr/local on Linux) which will contain the JIRA install and its binaries.

As an example I usually install JIRA with:

JIRA Home: /data/jira5

JIRA Installation: /usr/local/jira or /opt/jira

Have a look at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Installation+Directory and http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Home+Directory for more details on these directories.

Hope that helps,

Andrew.

EDIT: if you search your Linux filesystem for the file "jira-application.properties" that will show you the branch of the filesystem where the JIRA installation directory is.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2012

As well as that, the directories you found indicate that you are looking at the Jira "home" directory (which doesn't have to be called "home", you can call it anything you want, as long as you tell Jira what it is). In Andrew's example, he'll have those directories in /data/jira5, and he'd find the /bin as /usr/local/jira/bin or opt/jira/bin

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2012

Hi Cathy,

If the question is solved could you mark my answer as correct please?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events